S/O Being an adult

Several posters replied that 25 should be the legal age for adulthood. Does this mean that you, as a parent, want to be responsible for your children until that age with all that entails?

goldpandora

Asked by goldpandora at 10:16 AM on Nov. 21, 2013 in Parenting Debate

• I've been on my own since I was 19 (officially, might as well have been sooner). Perhaps the young brain matures at the rate it is required to by the events in a person's life. We see this in maturity levels in kids who have had to deal with difficult emotional situations or strict expectations.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 6:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• Unfortunately, it looks as if many parents in today's world are ending up responsible for their young adult children until they are nearly that age these days.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:54 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• What Ballad said...with today's economy, most kids are living at home longer, going to local colleges because they can't afford the cost of housing and school. This means you have your kids at home and you ARE responsible, but sometimes have little control.

Personally, I think 21 should be the age for all of it, but it doesn't seem right that you can die for your before you can drink legally.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:11 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• Many already are. I am sure the emancipation by marriage and by birth will still be in effect should that every come into effect, which it will not anyway so.
    Now if parents had the rights they had a century ago, they might consider it.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:29 AM on Nov. 21, 2013

• I would not want that. I do wish more families were closer and better functioning. Mine was not for the most part. As far as the economy, I wouldn't want to change a law based on a poor economy because ideally the economy won't always be like this.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• Sure! I'm terrified of an empty nest. Although, I would make them work and be productive citizens. No bums in mi casa.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:58 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• It's no different than being responsible for a 17 year old now. It sounds extreme because it's not the norm. If it was the norm, nobody would think twice. We live 20-30 years longer on average than when these ages were originally decided. People are more likely to work until they're 80 than retire now.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• I don't believe that because we're living older than before that we are maturing so much later

Doesn't really matter what you believe. Science is about facts.

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:06 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• I hope my son will go to college, work but if he ever needs me I will take care of him no matter his age.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• 18 is good.
    lullaby572

Answer by lullaby572 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2013