Father arrested for picking up his kids from school

Article here

video his gf took while they were being confronted by police

TLDR: School's new policy, kids being picked up in cars get out at one time, kids walking home are released a half hour later.  He walked there to pick up his kids, they refused to release him since he didn't have a car, but insisted he sign a form saying they had permission to walk home alone without a parent. The school has no policy for kids walking home while accompanied by a parent, they insist they must either be picked up in a car or walk home alone.

Anyone think the school has a chance in hell of winning this?  (video goes over a lot, including the father reading state law to the cop arguing with him, law is on the father's side)

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• That is completely insane

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• Sorry, the school has to release my kids to me at any time if I want them. They can report me for truancy, if I'm keeping them or taking them out that much, but they have NO RIGHT to refuse to hand my children over. I don't think the father was being "childish" at all. I'd be pissed, too. You don't tell me that you won't be handing my kids over to me. They are MY kids, and unless you're going to take over raising them, financing their lives and doing everything else for them, I'll be damned if you're going to act like you have control over me and my right to take them home whenever I see fit.

Of course, stupid stuff like this is part of why I chose to homeschool. So I wouldn't have to deal with the insane arrogance that seems to come with public school these days.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:37 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• I read this yesterday and I applaud the father for standing up for his rights. I would have done the same. The school will not win, if it does, I would be very afraid of the power that gives the state.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:47 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• Sorry. Custodial parent wins. Father can take the kids.

If I walk into either school and want my child, I expect to have my child released to my custody immediately. The high school has policies for releases during the day to minimize distractions if you know in advance, and that's fine. But if I need/want my kid without notice, I'm taking my kid.

And I agree with amazinggrace - if the school wins this one, it will be a very scary day for parents because the school will have been given a huge chunk of power of us and our kids.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 3:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• A parent may remove their child from school at any given time as long as they sign them out. He was not confrontational in any way that I could see except that he refused continued doing what the secretary required of him. The principal also was in the wrong if I saw the video correctly. You do not have the right to withhold a child from a custodial parent.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• It's a bunch of bullshit .... I think the school and the police dept will be getting a major law suit after this one and a new policy will come of it!!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 4:25 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• I saw this on my FB page.....This does not make me happy. If this happened to me, I'd have given them a reason TO arrest me!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:11 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• wow thats terrible! stupid stupid stupid...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• That's just plain crazy. I've walked to the school to pick up my child before. What the hell else am I supposed to do?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:13 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• that makes zero sense
    child can walk home alone but not with an adult/parent
    wow!

how fast can you say L A W S U I T
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:31 AM on Nov. 22, 2013