How can I get my baby to poop?

I see him trying to push. It's the first time this has happened. He's been crabby so I don't know if its because he's constipated or not. He hasn't pooped all day...any home remedies??

jnjdominguez88

Asked by jnjdominguez88 at 8:22 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• prune or pear juice...diluted of course
    efmeador0709

Answer by efmeador0709 at 8:24 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• agree with efmeador.. apple juice works for my kids also diluted also.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:27 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I haven't had this problem yet, but my sister in law puts karyo syrup in my nephews bottle when he has this problem
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 8:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Prunes. And, yes, I know it is bad, but cover their nasty taste in a little added sugar :) I try not to use medicine unless I have to. And so I don't mind a little sweet if it helps me avoid meds. For a baby baby, put prune juice in a bottle and try to give it to him. If he doesn't like it, add a touch of sugar- it doesn't take much! If the baby is bigger, add prunes to some oatmeal and try to give it to him. Again, if the taste is too icky for him- add just a bit of sugar. In general though I wouldn't add sugar to anything else. Ever. But for this, I do. They all think they are getting a special treat and I get my poop :) And then I can sleep without worrying about what terrible thing might be happening if they aren't pooping :) It is a win/win. My son always resulted within a few hours and we were good for a stretch. My daughter takes 10-12 hours. I may have to give it to her 2-3 days in a row but then we are good for weeks.
    Becky1979

Answer by Becky1979 at 8:31 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Oh as I was rereading my answer, if in a bottle, I mean with breast milk or formula. Not just juice! It doesn't take much. Wait 4-6 hours and do it again. I use half of the Gerber juice containers and half of the Gerber baby food. Ya know, depending on age. Good luck! If there is no result within a 24-36 hour span- Call the doc or ER. Also, my daughter was super sensitive to the transition between bottle and baby food. She got way backed up. But it was short lived and now all is great!
    Becky1979

Answer by Becky1979 at 8:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• use the thermonter that will help make him poop but only alittle not the hold thing
    Anonymous

• Give it some time to come on it's own before you do anything.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:07 AM on Feb. 20, 2009