Bishop recites exorcism prayers in response to the signing of IL new gay marriage law

http://religionclause.blogspot.com/2013/11/illinois-governor-signs-marriage.html

If you are Catholic, do you believe that gay marriage is symbolic of demonic possession or acts of Satan, and that non-Catholic gay people who choose to get married in a courthouse are channeling dark forces which work against you?

If you do not believe this, why do you belong to a religion which does?

Bonus question to everyone- in the full text of the homily (available at the link) the Bishop suggests that those who do not take exorcism seriously are persecuting the Church - is disagreeing with a religion the same as persecuting it?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 4:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2013 in Religious Debate

• The Church as far as I have known it has never considered a gay person to be possessed simply by being gay. This Priest and others seems to think that it is. The Church says that it is not sanctioned by the Church and at one time said that doing anything against the Church was inviting the devil to take a stronger hold. There are many priests that wish to hold on to that idea which is simply one of power and control, rather than the teachings. Those same Priests (in answer to you last question) need and want that power and do not want it to slip from their fingers.

No you can disagree all you want. This is not the time of the Crusades and the Holy Roman Empire. The hierarchy was made up of nobles and were there to further their families (not the priests) This attitude of dominating those less wealthy is simply political power and a tradition that has been handed down through the seminaries and

Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:28 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• convents throughout much of our history. One Pope does not change every Priest who has gone through the educational process. He can make inroads and retire some. He can look into matters and suggest changes and some Priests and Bishops will be thankful that the message of the Church is once again what should be preached.

How can I remain? Because I believe in the message of the Church, the one that has been carried through the ages though certain branches of the Church. The are unpopular with the hierarchy but the message of hope and forgiveness is still there.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:34 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• Is it just me, or is the Catholic Church getting weirder all the time? I don't mean to offend anyone who is a practicing Catholic, but this is not the stuff I was raised with. And I've said this before, I was raised Catholic in a very conservative diocese. People would joke that to get any more Catholic, you'd have to go to Rome.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:08 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• We are having a lot of weirdos show off their behinds in public more often I think. Some of it is that it can be so easily caught on some media or other and some of it IMO is that they want the public attention.

For the most part I think the clergy are pretty level headed . The bad ones just get a lot of exposure these days. Some of that is good and some of it is just tiresome.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:38 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• Disagreeing is NOT the same thing as persecution, no.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• I read it. Well to these folks, even Christians, if it's not God's will, then it's Satan AKA the enemy.
    lullaby572

Answer by lullaby572 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• I was born into Catholicism, and as I grew older and wiser I realized the hypocrisy behind it all, the only demonic possession is the one that takes over when they see same sex marriage happening, regardless of how they see it.

Answer by older at 3:13 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• First off this a minor exorcism, which also takes place at every Mass and at other sacraments such as Baptism and Confirmation. As opposed to a major exorcism with does deal with an actual possession. Second it's about the fact that sin is being down play in society. So what if he cheats on his wife ( she cheats on her husband) They really are good people. Yes she a gossip but she means well. They didn't mean to steal, they really are good. The list goes on. Again it's not the attraction that is the sin, it's acting on it. Not different then the adulterer who just can't help themselves and cheat on their spouse. Or the gossip who spreads falsehoods and lies because they think they know the truth. It's about the fact they we are above all of creation to be more. To nurture our spiritual part of being, not the physical urges. To become one with God. Not everyone is called to the vocation of marriage.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:11 AM on Nov. 28, 2013

• This is warped version of the vocation. No different then those who marry and decide not have children. Marriage isn't about you. It's about you sacrificing everything for your spouse and the children that maybe a product of this marriage. Heterosexauls did fine job of warping this vocation on their own. By making it about self not others. By making others their property, Wife abusers, children abusers and as I said before the adulterers. So this exercism wasn't just about "gay marriage" it was about all of these evils in society.
    daps

Answer by daps at 10:20 AM on Nov. 28, 2013

• It's about you sacrificing everything for your spouse and the children that maybe a product of this marriage.

In that case, what is the justification for intentionally making life harder for the children of homosexuals?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Nov. 28, 2013