Ack! quick! somebody help me figure this out

so im going to sound totally unprofessional right now but its the internet so its ok right?

long story short- im a photographer, but so far ive only done my child's school yearbook (volunteer basis only), and friends and family. ive been offered an actual professional position at a residential clubhouse nearby for their holiday event.

i have NO idea how to go about charging.

first, i dont have a digital printer, so the clients will not get their photos the same night. ill give them a business card with my website on it and have their photos up the next day.

so if it were you, say you were taking your family to your community holiday event and they were offering professional portraits done with santa, what would you expect as far as pricing and getting your portraits? remember same day is simply not available unfortunately.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 21, 2013 in Money & Work

• i just dont know if i do package pricing, individual pricing... again i don't do prints yet so they would still have to get them printed on their own. currently i charge my own clients $25 for a mini session and that includes everything- all the digital images (to get printed on their own) and the copyright. should i just go with the $25? the difference is my clients get a full 30 minute session, whereas i don't think it'll be the same at this event, probably just a couple of poses within a 5-10 minute time frame.
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 5:51 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• I'm trying to remember the pricing for the Santa photos at our local mall. I THINK it's like $30 for one picture.

I'd say $10-$15 would be reasonable, but I'm also pretty cheap when it comes to paying for things.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• yeah, 10 seems fair especially since they still have to print them on their own
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• I say you deliver a 3 x 5 picture in some kind of cute border/card thing, and they can get reprints if they want, I think with delivery you should charge $30 for the whole thing, One of the reasons I hate getting Santa pics done at the mall, is because you are not allowed to make copies by the time every grandparent and aunt and uncle get theres it is usually $50, I would love to be able to take my own picture to Costco and do how many I want with it!
    You might even be able to do 2 different poses, last time I went to Costco, I think it was like 25 cents a picture.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• I am sure it is different in different areas but I would talk to the one who offered it to you at the clubhouse. Find out what they expect and how much they have charged in the past.
    Here they hire a photo booth and anyone who wants one can get a strip done and printed on the spot. The clubhouse pays for it. But that is not what you are talking about. Still they are your best source. Do they expect you to bring props or backdrops etc. I would suggest you do a shoot of your kids or family and make prints and then make a display board of what they can purchase. Is there anyway to rent the instant kind
    so that you can sell on the spot?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:18 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• What if you set up a thing where you have a laptop & printer. Ask someone to help you & you take the pics & your assistant helps them select the pictures they want on the laptop & the sizes they want. You print them out & tell them to come back in an hour to pick them up. I used to pay $25 for a 5x7 with Santa done like that.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:21 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• Another thought, from my husband: Bring a spindle of blank CD's and download the pictures directly to the CD and hand THAT to them.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:32 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• these are all fantastic ideas!
    tnm786

Comment by tnm786 (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• I like the laptop idea, but you could also just email the picture to them as well. Include the copyright stuff in the body of the email or have a seperate document that you attach to the email as well. I would even make a small coupon on their email for $5 off a sitting or some other kind of deal where they can come back to you for other portraits. Sort of like a loyalty program.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:09 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• They don't HAVE to print them themselves. I was doing a bit of pro photography for a while, and I used adorama.com for printing. They are super cheap, and REALLY great prints. I'm talking outstanding. You can have the photos sent to yourself or dropshipped to your clients. You can print up a sheet before you go and have plenty of copies where the people can fill out their names, addresses, phone numbers, etc. and then a list of package options (you can put together your own packages for this), calculate your prices (including print cost and shipping), and charge them X for the sitting and per package for the photos. Or pass out business cards and have them call you to figure out what they want in terms of prints. That's if you want to do the prints yourself. If you don't, then I'd go with somewhere between $10-20, but I'd probably do $25 if you let them print the pics themselves, maybe even $30.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:53 PM on Nov. 21, 2013