Random poll about steak-

My husband just put the steaks back in the fridge, it makes me crazy.
Do you or do you not let your steak sit out for about 20 minutes?
Today I am the one grilling them, and I was always told that steak should warm up a bit to cook more even.
He swears I am going to kill us.
He came home early and this is they way I always do it, and my steak is pretty tender.
I will abide but whatever you say!

2kids2dogs2cats

Asked by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:55 PM on Nov. 21, 2013 in Food & Drink

• you are supposed to let it come up to room temp before you cook it. You don't HAVE to... but you SHOULD!! I saw that on a cooking show one day...
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:02 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• ... of course that may or may NOT be true!! LOL
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:04 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• We sweat out steaks before grilling.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:13 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• Our, not out.
    QuinnMae

• I don't always, but sometimes I will let it sit out while I let the grill warm up, but I also will put it right on the grill from the fridge. I don't ever tell a difference though.

I DO let it rest before a cut is ever made in the cooked steak though! I do not use a fork or prongs to flip, I use tongs.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:15 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• Let it warm up. Tell your hubby if he doesn't like how you cook, he can cook his own and see how he does.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 7:52 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• he's freaking out over 20 min?

does he freak out when you shop and they are out for that long? weird
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:54 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• My SO is the same way. He is a trained chef, and worked in restaurants for years. He is obsessive about food temperature. We have to temp everything. I'll have to ask him about the 20minute thing. I just take them out of the fridge and go right to the grill. Like your DH, any kind of digestion problem is blamed on bad food. When I point out that we ate the same thing and I am fine he says I have a cast iron stomach.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 11:20 PM on Nov. 21, 2013

• You take it out to let it reach room temperature to avoid heat shock when you cook it. Heat shock causes the fibres to contract and the meat to toughen.

I've worked in a number of restaurants in Europe and this is not against the (pretty stringent) health and safety rules for catering. Some chefs have the side of meat in the kitchen and carve off the steaks as they need them. Others pre-slice.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 3:17 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• We leave ours out for a brief time also.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:34 AM on Nov. 22, 2013