My 15 yr old daughter got a detention for leaving class for a drink of water. she said she asked the teacher, not sure if he didnt hear. do you think it is a fair reason for the detention

maureen115

Asked by maureen115 at 9:29 AM on Nov. 22, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• well, wouldn't he have answered her if he DID hear? So then she would have known he heard her?

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:30 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Was she choking and needed the water immediately? It's not like a bathroom break. No reason that can't wait until the bell rings.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:56 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• was she choking really?? I will be leaving this group.
    maureen115

Comment by maureen115 (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Bye bye. Don't let the page hit you in the butt.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 10:16 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Not knowing the entire situation, there's no way we can answer this. You certainly know that our child's side is not always the complete picture of what happened.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 10:29 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

It was a legitimate question. Was she choking or coughing or something else that required an immediate drink to resolve? If she was simply thirsty, it could have waited and the detention is completely justified. If she was choking, coughing or something else that only a drink could take care of (and possibly was disruptive to the whole class), then (depending on what else happened here, because I get the distinct feeling this is not the whole story) there could be an argument made that she shouldn't have detention.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:32 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Unless she was going to puke or not able to hold a bathroom function or choking/gagging, she should have waited for permission, so yes, I see it as a valid reason. We would have gotten the same in my high school.

And this isn't a "group." lol
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:36 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• When I went to school this is how it went-
    Me-Raise hand
    Teacher-Yes Mary?
    Me-May I get a drink of water
    Teacher-yes!
    You can't just get up and leave unless as others have asked was there something emergency in nature about the situation.
    Yes it is fair she got detention.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:50 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Wow,that escalated quickly...

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:58 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Something I learned a long time ago: A statement without acknowledgement is not communication, it's just sound. If she doesn't know if the teacher heard her that means he did NOT hear her and so yes, the detention is justified. It's a lesson i making sure that when you ask, you wait for an answer.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:01 AM on Nov. 22, 2013