I have never had children but i have adopted a 4 year old girl for Christmas.

These children live in poverty. I would like to get a backpack but unsure what size for a 4 year old. I saw one that was 16"x12" but not sure if that is too big? Also, will be getting clothes and such. If you have any other ideas on what I should get, please let me know.

Regarding the clothes, she is a 5t at 4 years old.  She will need winter clothes but also wanted to buy outfits that will get her through next year so do they grow fast at that age and if so, which sizes should i include for the next year also....

swalker910

Asked by swalker910 at 11:07 AM on Nov. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• The sizes really depends on how fast the child grows, and that's hard to predict. My son went from size 4 to size 6, completely skipping size 5. My daughter has hit every size, at least for a few months. Last year in kindergarten she was a size 6, by the end of the year those clothes were getting too small, but the 7/8 was WAY too big.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:22 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• I would buy size 6 in tops, and a couple of pairs of 5t pants, then size 6 shorts and pants for next year.
    Dolls, puzzles, art sets.
    At this age they like about anything that you use your hands to play with, you might get her a couple of books as well.
    Very nice thing you are doing.
    Also some pajamas are great, everyone likes new pjs!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:28 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• The backpack size is fine. Like the other ladies said, buy her 5T, 6T or size xs (5). Buy her a winter coat, raincoat, boots (find out her shoes size). Buy her books, crayons, markers (washable), bubbles, a doll/stuffed animal, maybe hair accessories & a brush. New fun toothbrush like Dora the Explorer & toothpaste (make a Christmas Stocking filled with things she needs). Comfy sweatshirts, T-shirts & shorts for the summer & flip flops.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:48 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Thank you Rosehawk and 2kids2dogs2cats! That is very good info!
    swalker910

Comment by swalker910 (original poster) at 11:33 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Thank you ilovemypaulie! I did not think of a stocking, that is a great idea and the raincoat, etc. She does live in the midwest...
    swalker910

Comment by swalker910 (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Nov. 22, 2013