Oh the joys of the curiosity of kids

We were driving to Taekwondo class last night and my son, 10, pops out with this gem:

Mom, what are contractions?
They can be any number of things. (me HOPING he meant word contractions, and not really wanting to answer while driving on a two lane road in the dark)

What are contractions when a pregnant woman has them?
They can be any number of things. (yes, I was being a PITA at that point)

What's the most common?
The muscles in a woman's abdomen and inside cramp up to help her give birth to the baby.
Oh. Does it hurt?
Have you ever had a cramp in your tummy?
Yes.
It's like that only about 5 million times worse.
Oh.

Since I got pregnant my son and my husband have had a VERY honest, and embarrassing, talk about exactly how babies are made. I completely understand hes curiosity, he was 3 1/2 when his sister was born. That was an interesting conversation, especially since his sister was in the car too.

Talk about finding a balance between answering HIS questions honestly, but not being super detailed because the 6 year old is in the same room/car, and isn't ready for the same information he is.

Rosehawk

Asked by Rosehawk at 11:16 AM on Nov. 22, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• I love that he said, "What's the most common?" He wanted you to answer, darnit! lol

It's good that he identified language he didn't understand, and asked about it. Maybe his dad used that term when explaining birth, and didn't let him know what it meant. If you clarify the muscular work to opening/closing or tightening/loosening, then you can relate the term to the heart, or to pupils, etc.

I told my kids the walls of the uterus (which is like a bag that contains the baby) are muscles, and in order for the baby to be born the end of that bag has to open, so the muscles work/contract to pull back & open the end, like a drawstring bag opens. When it's fully open, then the baby can be born.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:23 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• From what you said I would have had no problem saying the same thing to my 6 yr old.

Just curious...What was it that you were worried about your 6 yr old hearing? I've told my son how babies are made and how they are born...not extreme detail(as I doubt he cares to know lol) but in a fair amount of detail.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• It sounds as though you did a fine job! :)

Answer by Bmat at 12:22 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Yes, I LOVE that he was persistent enough to keep pushing for the answer. So often, he gives up before he gets his answer. Part of my stalling was trying to come up with an explanation that BOTH kids would understand, but not be horribly graphic either.

I was not present for the conversation that dad had with son about how babies are made, so I don't know what all was discussed. Neither one wants to talk about it much. From what I've gathered though, it was only about how babies were made, in detail. Not about how they're born.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 1:28 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Sorry, I would have told him I will talk to you about it later, when we can talk alone. And hope he forgets.

Answer by louise2 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Oh goodness! LOL.

Yeah, they hurt! Does he need to watch a birth video?!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• LOL probably not right now. He's still SUPER embarrassed by the talk he and dad had.

I don't mind questions like this, and I'm trying to expect them. This one just came out of left field and I was driving. I think it's good to foster a child's curiosity and answer their questions as honestly as possible.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 4:06 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• I tend to get a little too TMI and/or graphic for even my adult kids. It's something I'm trying to work on and censor in myself.
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• I am like this. A 10 year old does not need to know the ins and outs of labor. Especially at an inappropriatetime. You are driving!  He needs to learn he does not get the answers when he wants ,especially when an adult is busy.

Answer by louise2 at 6:42 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• And, yet, YOUR kids won't talk to you will they louise?

What I choose to talk with my kids about, and WHEN I choose to do it is MY business. If I really didn't want to tell him I wouldn't have.

And that should have been "my adult friends".
    Rosehawk

Comment by Rosehawk (original poster) at 10:33 AM on Nov. 23, 2013