A 2 year old that gets into EVERYTHING

I understand 2 year olds get into stuff, but I dont remember it being THIS bad with my son when he was this age. Its gotten so bad that she will wake up in the middle of the night, take her pjs off and go to the bathroom and play with makeup and all sorts of stuff. We keep harmful things out of her reach but its impossible to keep EVERYTHING out of her reach. Shes constantly going through my purse, going through backpacks, pushing buttons on the tv/remote, messing with the thermostat for the heat, locking herself in bathrooms/bedrooms, finding candy and eating it all, digging through the fridge, digging through the garbage... ahh the list goes on! Im constantly watching her every move, or so i thought. I cant even go to the bathroom without coming out to find her getting into something else. We are constantly telling her not to touch things, and she will listen, but 10 minutes later she is doing it again. I dont even know what to do anymore. What consequences do you even give a 2 year old? She could care less if I took her toys away.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:16 AM on Nov. 22, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Door alarm
    Beaverhouse,can you give her some pointers?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:18 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Is the house child-proofed? Go to Home Depot; they have TONS of clips and connectors and things that keep stuff closed. http://www.homedepot.com/s/childproofing?NCNI-5

Put a gate on her door at night to keep her contained in her room.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:19 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Sounds like you don't have your house toddler proofed.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:27 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Put a gate at her bedroom door. I have a 2 year old & I always know where she is & what she is doing. How does a two year old get into candy & eat it without you knowing? Put everything up high including the remote. Get childproof cabinet locks. These things happen because you aren't watching her attentively enough. How does a 2 year old reach a thermostat?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:41 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• my second kid is like that too...we're leaving tomorrow and he's keeping me busy by wanting to unzip the suitcases and pull the stuff out. ive found timeouts work best for him, cause he really hates being by himself (we do them in his room). we have 3 rules in our house: be nice, be safe, and listen to mom & dad. his older sister really drilled them into him (she's a stickler for rules). anyways it's really helped keep him from climbing all over things when all i have to say is "stop! be safe!". it took about 2 months of this before he started getting it.

as for waking up and wondering around, we bought a simple doorknob cover that you put on the inside of the door. when he tries to get out it just spins...but you can still easily open it from the outside and i can open it from the inside too. (he's also a sleepwalker so this kills 2 birds).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:44 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• as for the rest, you just have to catch it and punish it right then and there (calmly of course, unless its something dangerous). every. single. time. she'll get it eventually. its not easy, i know, but its the only way to reel this in.

now having said that, you've got a curious kid...she will NEVER stop being curious and you shouldnt squash that. if you feed some of her curiosity you may find that she's less destructive. explain what you're doing, what things are for, show her what is in the cabinets when you can keep her from messing with it, explain in kid words why eating all the candy is bad, etc. its tiring but it saves you energy in the long run (less mess to clean up). and for the rest just keep everything up and away. she's two, she shouldnt be able to reach the thermostat or the top of the fridge (where we have to keep our candy haha).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:50 AM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Her new thing is pulling up a chair to stand on for things she cant reach, so that explains how she reaches the thermostat haha
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• I put my dining room chairs on top of my table where my 18 mo can't reach them. Boxes, laundry baskets, toy bin, anything she can use as a boost to get up is put up where she can't reach it. I've left one bottom cabinet empty just for her; all others have locks. My oven has a lock. Thankfully she's a little too short to reach door knobs yet, because I know if she could reach them, she could open them. Toddlers are fun!
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:42 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Doesn't sound like you have every thing put up to me! Locks and put everything above her reach.

Answer by louise2 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• My DD was JUST like this! Drve me up a wall. She would go down in the middle of the night and dump cereal on the floor or once and entire container of salt. She painted her whole body with desitine, drew on every inch of her body with markers and even put baby oil in her hair. he was a nightmare! At the advice of a friend we started offering her more challenging activities during the day. Sensory play and more opportunists to explore with her hands and mouth. Let her get messy so to speak. We did finger paints, play dough, sand boxes, baths with bubbles and containers to pour water in and out of, nature walks and encouraged her to play in pine straw and gravel...bought her a dump truck for the wood chips in our garden.... It actually helped A LOT. We redirected the negative behavior. On the plus side- she is not 6 and in the gifted program at school! Maybe she was just bored! Maybe yours is to.
    Anonymous