• In the Spotlight:

DH wants his ipad back. what can I get my 5 year old that will keep him happy and learning

He has a leapster GS which is great for travel. but he prefers the ipad games when we are at home. What is a less expensive tablet like toy I can get him that will keep him learning and entertained? What is your experience with these items?

AngZacc

Asked by AngZacc at 5:24 PM on Nov. 22, 2013 in Shopping

• nothing really compares to the iPad... maybe get him a refurbished iPad maybe?? or an iPad Mini or an iPod touch
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 5:29 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• 8 GB Kindle Fire was running $139.00 the other day on amazon. Not sure if the price is the same. It's not an iPad, but it's more appropriate for a 5 year old than an iPad.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:41 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• I've seen tablets for 60-80 bucks. Check out the Black Friday ads

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• husband wants it back?
    can husband allow child to use for alloted times, even monitor what child does on it
    lots of educational stuff on it
    husband can allow on weekend for 30 minutes at a time
    child could even earn the time
    and father can make sure stuff done on it, is both fun and educational

maybe i am misunderstanding question
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 5:46 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• We just bought a Nook HD 32gb(and can add up to 32gb more) from Staples(got a gift card for returning my last tablet). It has google play so you can get all the free educational apps(can also use Barnes and nobels marketplace if you want). We spent 179 on it(but they have others with less memory) and $40 for the 2 yr warranty(they price matched Walmarts warranty price).

I use it some but it is more for my 6 yr old.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 5:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• DH does share it with the boys...but DH is a boy too and doesn't like to share. Even if it is for an allotted time. DS does earn his time too. And they do play together.

I haven't heard much about google play...tell me more.
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Kindle fire is great and they are only $139 on Amazon
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 7:19 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• There are cheaper one that are made just for kids. I was thinking about getting one for my son. I saw one for $40....LeapFrog LeapPad2 Explorer Kids' Tablets for Learning . And another for $60.
    Lobelia

Answer by Lobelia at 5:15 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• We have the LeapsterGS which is a travel size version of the Leappad. He likes the games we can get on our ipad so I am not sure the leappad would be just right at this point. Although I have thought about it.
    AngZacc

Comment by AngZacc (original poster) at 5:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• A 5 yr. old does not need an ipad to learn... they don't need anything techno like that. I did fine growing up... You can use hands on manupulatives, paper, crayons, markers, board games...etc.

AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 6:55 PM on Nov. 26, 2013