Dieting Question - maybe long...

I have always been over weight. Well, always since puberty... I am now 32. My ideal body weight based on BMI is between 108 and 149 however I can not imagine me being that low in weight! I am currently 188 and a size 14 jeans. I am down a lot since I started working last year. I was at 120. Then I kind of peeked at 190. Well, recently we have been going through a lot of stress and stress makes me not eat very well. I find it hard to eat while upset or stressed-opposite of most people I guess. Anyway I lost 2 more pound in the last 2 weeks making me 188. Here is my problem. The loss of the 2 more pounds has motivated me again but I am not eating enough and I know it. I am trying to but I just get full after a few bites and stay full for hours on it. I calculated what I forced myself to eat today and it was around 600 calories. WAY not enough but I can't eat any more! If I do I get nauseas. Part of it is the stress and part of it, I am sure is from not eating, basically being on a liquid diet for the last 2 weeks while I was stressed to the point of physically ill. Things are getting a little better and I can eat now but just not enough. I have never had this kind of eating last for so long. usually I am stressed for a day or two then things are fine but while things are looking a little better they are in no danger of getting better any time soon. I am scared I am going to kill my metabolism! So how can I make myself eat enough calories and do you think my stomach has just shrunk form lack of eating? What am I going to do? I want to loose weight but not like this! I know this is the wrong way to do it. I just can't make myself eat any more than I am. My body is all out of whack with everything that is going on in my life. I eat every time I feel hungry- it just isn't much at a time and not near enough.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Nov. 22, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• The one thing I have learned about weight is it doesn't matter as long as you eat real food that comes from nature and if you take your multivitamins. So start thinking in a healthy way, you can eat as much food from the earth as you want. All this yo-yo stuff is making you emotionally unhealthy and that is the problem not your weight.

pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 8:52 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• It's not that I eat bad- its's that I am not hungry. I have not been able to eat much for a couple of weeks now. I can't make myself be hungry.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• you NEED to eat more than that. No one should eat below 1200 and most uf us need more
    this is not good for you. Do you work out at all? that could help with stress- but if you do, you DEFINITELY will need to be eating more
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:07 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Count your calorie intake a day and go to your doc and ask how many calories you should be having that should help a bit
    caragirl1

Answer by caragirl1 at 9:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• I would go to the doc. That said, I personally wish I would stop feeling hungry. I too am going through a great deal of stress right now. My SO is unemployed, and has been since August. He isn't getting unemployment because he quit his job. He has not gotten a single call back for an interview. I am going through child support hell with my ex. Racking up all kinds of lawyer bills. My job has started a new evaluation system, and I can't seem to figure out the right combination of hoops I am supposed to jump through. I have gained 20 lbs because I eat when I am stressed. No loss of appetitefor me. I was exercising every night, I stopped doing that. I went to the doc today because my meds needed to be refilled and he wouldn't do the refill unless I came in. My labs were horrible. Last year my A1c was 5.9, now it's 8.  260 cholesterol. The doc literally looked at me and sighed. 

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 12:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• PLease see your doctor immediately. The lack of appetite could be pointing to a serious problem.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:27 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Calories taken in
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:43 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Are you seeing a counselor to help you work through all of this stress? When you're that stressed, your stomach cramps up, which is why you're having the nausea. Well, that combined with the lack of eating, so your stomach isn't used to getting that food anymore. Liquids may be the way to go for now, because you can get in more calories but not feel as full, since they'll pass through you more quickly (faster gastric emptying). Have you tried nutritional shakes? I'm not a huge fan of them for a mainstay in anyone's diet, but if you're trying to be healthy and get your calories up while going through this, it might be a good tool to use to transition back into a normal diet. I'm a HUGE fan of Vega One Nutritional Shake (I do not sell this!!). It's NOT a protein shake, but it's more balanced than that, and has a bunch of vitamins and such. It could be a good way to ease back into foods.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:09 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• (continued)
    You can also make a shake before you have to be out and about, so you have it with you when it's time to eat something. I do this for a post-run shake, when liquids are all that will stay down, and I NEED some calories. I carry it in a shaker with some almond milk.
    Are you exercising at all? Exercise can be a fantastic stress-reducer. Find something you enjoy. It doesn't have to be a huge thing. Even going for a 10-20 minute walk in between errands can be really helpful for clearing your head and getting your blood moving.
    I've lost over 100 lbs and kept it off for over 2 years now. Feel free to message me if you want someone to talk to. No gimmicks or products. :)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:12 PM on Dec. 8, 2013