Should opposite sex teenagers share a bathroom in the morning?

I was home sick the other day from work. My kids are 15 (Twins) and 13. The three of them get themselves ready for school in the morning. My husband and I are at work by 6:00. I saw my oldest son walk out of his bedroom with nothing on. He walked into the bathroom. My daughter, his twin sister was already in the bathroom. She was in the shower. I was up all night. I was very sick and tired. But I got up and walked to the bathroom door. The door was wide open. There sat my son doing a number two. "What is going on in here?" I yelled. My son just sat there, "Mom we have to share the bathroom in the morning or we'll never make it to the bus on time." I was very week and almost faint. I thought I might be dreaming. I went back to bed. I peered across the hall to the bathroom. My son finished what he was doing. My daughter stepped out of the shower. My son stepped in the shower. They had no problem, should I?

ixxy

Asked by ixxy at 10:08 PM on Nov. 22, 2013 in General Parenting

• Anonymous

• My brother and I shared a bathroom growing up, but never when the other was in the shower. That's weird.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:15 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Not if one of them is taking a dump while the other was in the shower. I would kill anyone who did that to me.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 10:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• butterflyblue19

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:16 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• What a load.... Go find someplace else to dump your crap
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 10:39 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 10:40 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• Um... yeah. I'm pretty sure no teenage girl is going to fucking let her teenage brother take a goddamned shit while she's showering. Sorry, try again, not buying this one.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:57 PM on Nov. 22, 2013

• I love my husband very much, but he is not allowed to shit in the same bathroom while I shower.
    Either you are full of shit, or you have raised children with no boundaries.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:46 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• So they've been happily sharing like this for FIFTEEN years and you've only just noticed? Nope, not swallowing this one.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 4:44 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Wow.

Okay. "Should" they? In many homes there wouldn't be any other alternative. Kids/families share a bathroom, period. There's no inherent problem with that. Sharing a bathroom doesn't equal walking around naked from room to room, though.

If you have a problem with it, you have a problem. There's no deciding whether or not you "should" have a problem with it; your feelings tell you whether or not you do. Having a problem, personally, with something isn't a reliable indication that someone else is at fault, but feelings are feelings.

If you want to address the situation (and the issue isn't using the same bathroom!), I suggest you focus on solutions that address expectations around common/shared spaces. Communicate that you want them clothed if they leave their bedrooms, or when they leave the bathroom after a shower. If your kids routinely sleep naked, then do something like provide bathrobes. (Christmas is coming.)
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:31 AM on Nov. 23, 2013