I am so wanting to go to church but they just aren't exactly a fit- what do I do? Do I go and ignore the parts I hate or skip it all together and continue to feel lost?

So long story short- my son goes to Catholic school but I just can't get past the politics and constant asking for money in the Catholic churches here. We don't have many churches near us but 2 are quite large, one is a mega church, but they are not gay friendly- that is a big deal to me. I want to go to a church that is loving and welcoming to everyone. I am so longing for a church to go to. I have NO friends here and want to make some friends and don't know how and thought church would be a good way. So do I attend a church that isn't exactly my dream church and overlook the huge flaws it has (to me anyways) or should I not go at all? My son loves the mega churches because they are VERY fancy with kids programs and music and videos, etc. But I am so confused if it is worth it even though they are not exactly right... Sorry this is long but I have tried so hard to find a church to call home, I feel empty and lonely and my work schedule and my neighborhood is not condusive to making friends not to mention how good I feel after hearing a good church message.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:01 AM on Nov. 23, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• No, you don't go to a church that you're not comfortable with. Keep looking till you find the one that fits.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:24 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Your faith is not contingent upon a brick and mortar building.
    Believe what you want to believe in the privacy of your home
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:55 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Try attending different ones until you feel at home
    Mia944

Answer by Mia944 at 7:47 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• From personal experience: sometimes you have to stay a while before it "feels like a fit". Getting to know a few people well is the key. Even in the mega churches, there are small groups who meet together on a regular basis. That's where the real friendships are forged.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:28 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• How does a place of worship know when someone is gay and when someone is open about their sexual orientation are people at the door making sure they cannot enter?
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Don't give up. Keep looking. We had the same issue. We thought we found a church we liked, but after a year, we tried a different church and like it much better. We do not have the exact same beliefs as the church, but our kids are comfortable and we are comfortable. I don't know that you can find a church that is going to be exactly what you want in every way. But do find the one that makes you feel the most comfortable and the most welcome. Your son will benefit from any of these programs as he grows. It will be a great discussion starter for you and you can talk about how you feel about what they have discussed.
    AngZacc

Answer by AngZacc at 5:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Church hop until you find one that is comfortable OR stop, drop, and pray. Meaning pray about what church you should go to and wait for guidance as to what to do and He will lead you to the right place.
    cat1622

Answer by cat1622 at 9:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2014