A baby has no business here!!!

I went to the premier or Catching Fire, Friday night 9:35. There was a toddler in the seating behind me!!! Definitely under 2 y/o! Why the h*ll would you have a child THAT young out that late and you ought to know a child that small wont sit through a 2 1/2 hour movie without disturbing those around you. My DS is now 6, I don't think I brought him to his first movie until he was old enough to listen when I said it was time to be quiet. And even then it was a matinee and a childs movie. Needless to say they left the theater not even half way through the movie because he wouldn't stop crying. It is MY opinion they should have been more considerate to those around him, they ought to have known better; that he wouldn't sit still and wouldn't be quiet! Why is a child THAT young out THAT late?!

SillyMomma

Asked by SillyMomma at 12:44 AM on Nov. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• While I agree that movie was not the one to bring a 2 year old too, some kids don't have the same sleep schedule as you do. As long as they are getting enough sleep then it doesn't matter what TIME they go to bed.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 1:02 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Idk, not my place to judge. Maybe they bought tickets ahead of time and their babysitter fell through? Maybe the kid usually sleeps through movies? Sure it's irritating, that's why I wait and go to movies after they've been out awhile. I prefer to have the theater to myself. Then I have no reason to bitch.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:13 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• call me old fashioned but small ones like that ought to be asleep before midnight which is when it let out. I know every child is different and have different schedules but that late at night they need to be calmed and getting relaxed for bed. If they didn't have a sitter than you go another time thats not opening weekend. I usually wait til a weekday to go myself but this was a treat/date night for me and my hubby something we do very rarely. I did consider they thought maybe he would fall asleep. Personally I like to go to the theater in the next town over; since its rural its 5 all the time for tickets but you have to pay in cash. Last time we went there we watched sinister alone. I still think the parents were being inconsiderate, I know I wouldn't have let my son be in that situation. No sitter, you dont go.But its just my opinion..
    SillyMomma

Comment by SillyMomma (original poster) at 2:24 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• I kinda see both sides of it. Although I wouldn't think that movie is appropriate for a child that age. But at least they had the decency to leave when he started acting up. Since they're out that money, maybe next time they'll reconsider taking him, or go at a different time.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:35 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• That is the reason I stopped going to the movies. I wait and watch them at home on my surround sound. No crying kds at my house.

Answer by louise2 at 6:51 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• call me old fashioned but small ones like that ought to be asleep before midnight

That's your opinion, and how you choose to raise your kids. You don't get to tell them how to raise theirs. You don't know what their reason was for bringing the child, so you can't say they were right or wrong - and even if you did know, they're strangers, so you still can't say they were right or wrong because it's not your business.

They left when he wouldn't stop crying, so it doesn't sound like they were all that inconsiderate.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:17 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• I completely agree that a 2 yo has no business at a movie like Catching Fire.

That said, the sleeping schedule could be a different issue. I had a friend who was blessed with twins in her second pregnancy. She and her hubby had three girls under 2 when the twins were born. For them, the logical thing to do was to shift everyone to the hubby's schedule. She was a SAHM and school wouldn't be an issue for a few years. Hubby was a night owl, so the whole family became night owls. I didn't see her for about 18 months because our schedules never lined up.

The kids were well cared for and deeply loved and very well behaved. But they didn't go to bed at 7:30 pm; they went to bed closer to midnight because that is what worked for their family at that point in their lives.

We all do it, but we shouldn't judge a book by its cover.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:32 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• While they may be out money, not only do I think it's inappropriate to take a child to a movie not meant for children it's selfish to subject everyone else in the theater to a child's behavior. Everyone in the theater paid money for their tickets...well at least the majority, and they have a right to a good experience. What time the child generally goes to bed isn't a problem for me.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:32 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• If you had said something to the manager I assure you the crying child would have been asked to step out into the lobby and you have gotten a refund. In fact I am sure the manager got an earful after the movie and ended up giving out all kinds of discounts and free tickets. My dad has been a theater manager my entire life and I am 32.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Our movie theater has a "no children" policy for those types of movies after such and such time.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:15 AM on Nov. 23, 2013