Do any of ya'lls children have this?

Sandifur acid reflux?? I had never heard of it before today, a friend of mine's little girl was "diagnosed" with this.

efmeador0709

Asked by efmeador0709 at 8:42 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I believe....the acid reflux is causing something called sandifer syndrome. The discomfort from the reflux is causing her to posture her body a certain way to help relieve the pain. Reflux is a common cause of torticollis, which my dd has. My dd has it from a muscle issue so I am not sure if your friend's girl would need the same treatment as my dd. I believe if she can get the reflux under control then it should help with the way she is posturing. Feel free to PM if you have any q's and I can try and help.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My son had acid reflux bad but I never heard of this. They did a test and checked if he had some sort of web in his stomach. He didn't and they gave him liquid Zantac. He was only months old and grew out of it.
    BubbysMom208

Answer by BubbysMom208 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• The poor thing. I feel so bad for babies who have acid reflux because I have GERD as an adult and am on prescription medicine for it, but would never wish it on a small baby. My heart goes out to all the children who suffer this.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 9:15 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Sandifer's isn't studied very well, trust us our family has been on a search for answers for a year now. The posturing can be like torticollis, which our son had before six months but after six months of age it started to look like seizures and he actualy curls over instead of back. After many neurologist and gasteroenterologists we are back at the diagnosis of sandifer's caused by a severe motility disorder. Our son has no signs of gerd other than an irritated esophagus which he takes prevacid for. This illness is very rare and so far every child I've heard of with it has varrying degrees of it with different characteristics which makes it hard to spot or differ from other diseases.
    Seveninourhome

Answer by Seveninourhome at 11:23 AM on Feb. 21, 2009