How soon should I pick up baby's cake?

We will be celebrating Tori's 1st birthday on Thanksgiving. Because of all the other cooking and stuff going on, my husband wants us to just pick up a small personal cake for her to smash up. Because it is Thanksgiving, obviously we won't be able to pick it up then.

We still need to hit Walmart for other things (like a turkey, my middle child's butter, HER chicken, etc.), so would getting the cake tomorrow (Sunday) or Monday be too soon?

hopeandglory53

Asked by hopeandglory53 at 6:07 PM on Nov. 23, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can buy it now and put it in the freezer. Take it out the morning of the party and let it defrost in the fridge.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:05 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• I'd pick it up on Wednesday. Happy B-Day to the baby!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 6:36 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• If she isn't really going to eat it then it doesn't matter when you get it. If she is going to eat it, it might be a little stale if you get it this early.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 6:40 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Thank Goodness for your DH! It really sucks growing up knowing your family tied your birthday in with the closest holiday. She will thank him one day for saving her form having pumpkin pie for her first birthday. It still irks me that my first birthday cake was a Santa cake and all my gifts were under the tree in Christmas paper. Every year til I was old enough and brave enough to protest it.
    Anonymous

•  It still irks me that my first birthday cake was a Santa cake 

Anon has some deep issues!

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:58 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• I always got pie. Pick it up now and pop it in the freezer. (My fiance ordered a cake today without me knowing. I don't want baby to have it.)
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 11:02 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

•  I did not have a party with an actual party theme until I was like 10!

First World Problems, oh the horror.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:17 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Why not just make one? If it's going to get smushed,wouldn't one that costs $3 be better?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:21 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• You are more than welcome to come over and make it yourself, BB, but I'm already tired as hell just THINKING about all the crap that is going to be cooked for Thanksgiving. I told hub I wasn't going to add a cake on top of all that, and HE'S the one wanting to get her a small "smash" cake from Walmart, cuz I was just gonna give her a piece of pumpkin pie for her "birthday cake".
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 6:32 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Oh, she'll definitely eat some of it.

Thanks all. I guess we can stop by Commissary after the squadron Thanksgiving party to see if they have anything on Wednesday. I just didn't want to have to make 2 trips to Walmart in a week :/ LOL
    hopeandglory53

Comment by hopeandglory53 (original poster) at 7:38 PM on Nov. 23, 2013