My kid is super smart and he school won't give her work at her level. what can I do?

I have showed them what she can do and they tell me that they can't do anything for her because the work is standard for the grade and she has to do that work but they won't move her up because the school district frowns upon kids skipping grades. She is in kindergarten and the one of oldest in her class. She is adding and subtracting double digits with carrying numbers and is starting to ask us how to do multiplication. She is doing word problems and stuff at home. She was tested at school for reading groups and they says she is reading at a 3rd grade level but they can't give her anything above kindergarten readers. We are just teaching her at home on weekends how to do other stuff she wants to learn. She is now spelling better than my 8 year old and writing stories! What can I do to get the school to understand they are hurting and not helping her by not teaching her for real. What can I do to help my daughter get the most out of her, what has to be, public education. We do not even have a gifted program until 3rd grade!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Nov. 23, 2013 in General Parenting

• Being smart and being gifted are two different things. Encourage her in her interests at home. When the time comes, she can test to see if she meets the qualifications for the gifted program.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:22 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• mean while she is doing nothing at school. Sch cries when it is time to get on the bus because she hates it so much. She is bored to tears. Literally. It is a fight to get her to go but she is willing to work for me after school. In fact she ask for it. Our school has so much stuff for kids who are behind in things but they refuse to do anything for the kids who are ahead. How is that right?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Have you talked to your child's teacher?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:33 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• I have. She says 'her hands are tied' she tried to convince the administration that my daughter was well beyond the work she was being offered and they said that while she was capable of doing the work the 'frowned upon' moving children up in grade because of maturity and social development. The teacher tried to get them to okay her pulling in work form other grades but the administration told her that was only going to further the problem. When I contacted them I was told the same thing. Except they told me that I should be thankful she doesn't struggle and that I just need to be patient until the other kids catch up with her in 2nd or 3rd grade!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Look at different schooling options in your city. My son had the same problem. We eventually found an academically challenging charter school that has ability groups for math and literacy. So each kid is tested and put in the correct group for them, up or down two grade levels.
    My son is much happier. He is still bored, but much less so. And their school focuses on Socratic discussions, so the kids learn to eloquently speak about what they know.

You have to do what is right for your child. If the school is failing her, then you have to find a better alternative.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:47 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Ever thought of home schooling her tell she is old enough to be in advanced classes?

Answer by louise2 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• Based on your grammar skills, I am highly doubtful this is true.
    Anonymous

• I wish we could home school but both Dh and I both work so it is not really an option for us at this time.

My typing and grammar skills having zero to do with my daughters ability to do math, read and spell. I appreciate your input though.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:56 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• And how are her social skills? All you harp on here are her academics.

My son, academically, should be in a grade AT LEAST two grades above where he's at. Socially, he's right where he should be, maybe a grade or two below where he's at.

Academic skills are not ALL one should focus on.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:08 PM on Nov. 23, 2013

• charter school

and
    if she is crying not to go to school, kindergarten is a lot of social skills
    the learning does not really start until first
    sounds like she is bored, but also she is not handling well, she is mature as her peers- kindergarten

work with her at home, and try to teach her patience
    the crying not to go to school is not a first grader, it is a kindergartener
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:10 PM on Nov. 23, 2013