Dating advice for your daughter

What advice or knowledge would you give your daughter about guys and dating? What would her father say?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 8:19 AM on Nov. 24, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• that she needs to love herself above all. No boy/ man should be the source of that.
    That a good relationship has respect, trust and support of one another
    that IF she is going to get to the point of having sex, to come talk to me first so we can get birth control for her and also make sure he uses condoms along with that.
    To be careful with her heart.

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:14 AM on Nov. 24, 2013

• Males want sex. Usually that is all they want. Keep your legs closed. Giving them sex will not make them like you more.

Answer by louise2 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 24, 2013

• Don't sneak out
    Don't go any where you feel uncomfortable
    You can call me at any time, for any reason
    Don't rush anything. Enjoy the process of being young
    Respect yourself
    Don't follow peer pressure
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 24, 2013

• I always told my daughters to have sex with someone they really loved, and make it special their first time to be choosy and not give it away to just to anyone. I also told them to come to me for protection when they were ready and they did just that.

their father always told them that sex is in every teenage boy's mind 24/7

Answer by older at 11:58 AM on Nov. 24, 2013

• If I could have those teenage years back, I can guarantee you I would have involved my children in every single sport or activity that I could have found. I would have kept them sooo busy they didn't have time for dating and guys.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:02 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• I tell her all the time that guys that are friends make the best boyfriends, someone you have stuff in common with and enjoy being around.

Answer by missanc at 12:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• I think we need to be careful, yes, I think sex is on every young...and old guy's mind, but I also think it's on the girl's mind as well.

Girls need to know that even though guys hormones are all ramped up, they actually have feelings too. I've seen every one of my three sons with broken hearts by young girls who seemed to be under the impression that they only feelings boys had were physical.

So yes, boys want to have sex, but they are human and have feelings too. Treat them with the same respect that you expect, and don't go out with a guy who doesn't respect you....don't go out with a guy YOU don't respect.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:45 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• Have fun while you are young go on many dates with lots of people and wait till you have things financially and educationally figured out before you have a serious boyfriend.
    pinkparcel

Answer by pinkparcel at 2:48 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• Her dad would say, "Wait till you're 30 before dating." He would almost be serious. I'd tell her several things, too many to write here. We'll definitely discuss respect for herself and her potential date. I'll push the group dates. I'd want to encourage her to take her time when getting to know guys and remind her that boys think different than girls. I think that's the key to good choices for girls - the understanding and perspective that guys think differently. Guys and girls are motivated by different things. I wouldn't want my daughter to be treated as an object or a toy. I'd encourage having a purpose when dating, not just "hanging out." I'm not opposed to hanging out but I think too much of that leads to premature physical contact. I'll explain the emotional complications and dangers of premarital sex. I'd point out that her father and I were friends first and how our personalities complement each other.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 12:16 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• No dating until 16. No sneaking out, no lying. Follow the rules of the house and deal with the consequences. NEVER allow a boy to put you down. IF a boy ever raises a hand to you or strikes you, WALK AWAY no RUN AWAY. A boys penis will NOT fall off, exploded, etc if he doesn't have sex.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2013