If you work a 12 hour shift-job: how do you balance work and family?

I enrolled in the EMT program at college. While I am excited and satisfied with my choice, I am also a bit nervous about the schedules they deal with which is usually 12 hr shifts on and off 4 days a week. If you have a schedule like that, how do you balance work and family? What shift do you work and do you ever see your kids? Husband?

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:18 PM on Nov. 24, 2013 in Money & Work

• Did you ever figure out the childcare situation?

I know lots of folks who do that shift. Only have known ONE family who didn't make it work, but it was because the husband didn't spend his off days with his family. Everyone else makes it work really well. Days off are just that: Days off. For them, 3 days on 4 off is no different than the standard 40-hour work week for everyone else. They go to work, they come home. Done.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:43 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• Many of the people I have known work the 12 hour shifts in the hospital. I'm not going to lie to you, it is hard on the family life. You have to be prepared for that though. Share household responsibilities and child care.

The EMT profession is highly stressful.

However, if this is your dream, you need to fulfill it and make it work. It's not impossible, just tough.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:40 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• I work 12 hour rotating shifts, my husband helps me. On my days off I attend to the house and it's needs. During working I try and keep things in order the best I can. Its hard when you have to balance family and work.
    rebelhelp

Answer by rebelhelp at 3:42 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• First, you ask for advice about childcare and then insult Luv when she gave you a suggestion. Then you make a fake anon post saying your SIL is an EMT and needs help with childcare and want ideas for that. Now, you want us to give you advice again? Sorry, but I am not in the mood to be insulted for trying to help someone today. Hopefully, you will learn not to bite the hand that feeds you.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:39 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• @m-avi yes I figure emt jobs are pretty stressful. I don't know if I'd call it a dream, but it would be fulfilling. Especially if I decided to become a volunteer.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:11 PM on Nov. 24, 2013