Scammed by a friend of a friend!

I was looking for a part time job, I had a friend suggest her friend has a cleaning business and needed help with it because she is pregnant with 3rd child. I meet her and agree nothing is in writing (yes bad on my part) So I clean for her a few times. I thought she was paying me half but the next time I went to clean I picked up the checks as well but made out to her business name. So when friday rolls around she has excuses for not paying me and then adding up all the houses and all the gas I use, I thought wow she isnt paying me enough. So I asked her if she is paying me 40% she says yes and has said she doesnt pay by the hour its by the job. I told her I thought half was fair, she isnt cleaning any of these homes herself. I went to clean a house last min and she kept saying she cant pay me yet for it, that house made 75 dollars she paid me 20, I said that isnt even 40%, she said take it or leave it and then said oh long did it take you to clean. So once I explained what she had said she hung up on me, now I gave her back her stuff and she paid me some but not all she owes me. I always know she hasnt been able to keep anyone to help her and now I wonder why... Also she says she is license, bonded, insured. I looked into this, and she isnt. Also she told me she pays the taxes her self and doesnt take them out of the money she paid me I doubt this as well. I just wonder should I let it go or warn he clients. She told me she has only had single moms help her clean, makes me think she is preying on single moms.

apples78

Asked by apples78 at 4:21 PM on Nov. 24, 2013 in Money & Work

• start your own cleaning business or find another job but make sure everything you do is in writing, even if it is family.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 4:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• Looking for the question mark before I even read that mess. Didn't find one. Moving on.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• I agree that you could start your own cleaning business. Look at care.com under the pulldowns and you can find clients to clean for. She might pay her taxes as self employed, but she is not paying any for you unless she gives you a W2 at the end of the year. If you start your own business you fill out tax forms as self employed.  GL

silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 4:56 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• Start your own business and do it legit. Make receipts and email them to clients. If people work at cleaning houses for you, have a contract signed by both of you that they get paid for the job. Email them their assignments with agreed upon price and copy to a personal email address as well.

If you don't plan on cleaning for others anymore, then go ahead and bad mouth her. If you do plan on staying in that industry, then do as little badmouthing as possible as that can bit you in the butt. If others ask why you parted ways, just tell them that you didn't like the way she ran her business and you knew you could do a better job. Leave it at that.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:26 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• Although I agree with QuinnMae for the most part, I also think the OP is correct that this person is scamming single moms. Being unlicensed and unbonded is a problem, too, for the clients; if a worker is injured on the job the homeowner could be held liable.

I would not directly badmouth this person to clients. But I WOULD report to whatever state agency handles licensing and permitting for cleaning companies and let them handle it. This can be done anonymously.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:38 PM on Nov. 24, 2013