Working out during time of the month

This always gets me. I can work out solid for 3 weeks but soon as my monthly happens I lose all the momentum I had built up. I have thought of just doing arm workouts during that time but I just feel so blah I do nothing.Sometimes it can be a bit heavy so that adds tome not wanting to go out and do anything. Any tips on how to staying motivated?

Jazmineamomma

Asked by Jazmineamomma at 4:30 PM on Nov. 24, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• Just DO it...that's all I can say.
    I always feel better after I work out
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 4:31 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• Lol simple as that sounds I've never actually done that. When it comes on I pretty much stop. I do remember how I felt energetic after working out. Miss it but avoid it since I stop when my period starts.
    Jazmineamomma

Comment by Jazmineamomma (original poster) at 4:34 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• Yeah... just suck it up and do it. I've never used "it's that time of the month" as an excuse for anything - its a cop out! In fact, physical activity can help with the exhaustion, cramping and other period symptoms.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• Think about your joints. If i work out 3-4 times per week i feel great and productive, but if i skip a week, my joint hurt and i feel stiff. Remind yourself, that you might feel uncomfortable if you skip and to avoid those stiff moments, it will come a second nature as brushing teeth and taking a shower.
    Lil_fox13

Answer by Lil_fox13 at 4:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• Find something you really love to do so that you won't get that feeling. I used to be that way until I found capoeira. Now I'm so addicted that I get sad when I have to miss a class due to work or something else. I have a friend who is the same way about zumba, and another who found her workout addiction in crossfit. It might take some time, but just find something you really love to do.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 5:07 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• Some times you have to just suck it up and do it.

Answer by louise2 at 9:03 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• What works for me is to make it so apart of your routine that you do not let things distract you from it. For example every Monday at 10 am you work out with cardio. Tues you strength train etc...Once you have a routine your brain develops neurons that will make it a "HABIT" you don't want to break. And you will just do it and not "think" so much on it. So the key is consistency!!! Not only does it take AT LEAST 3 weeks to develop the neurons but its consistency( that develops the neurons) is just as important. If you exercise every Monday at 9:30 your body actually knows it is coming up and prepares for it. It will soon be something you want to do no matter where in the month you are! Are bodies are made for routine!!
    AmyLynn5398

Answer by AmyLynn5398 at 9:34 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Just do a lighter workout during that time and there's nothing wrong with missing a day if you really feel bad. Some women don't have periods from hell so they don't understand how much it brings you down. They're lucky. I've had days where I can't get out of bed so on those days there's no way I'd make it to work out. Sounds like you work out a lot and that's what's important.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 1:49 PM on Dec. 3, 2013

• I'm always glad when I force myself during my cycle to at least do SOMETHING. It helps with the bloating and cramping. BIG time.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:04 PM on Dec. 8, 2013

• I just go ahead and just do it. I always feel much better after I'm done.
    Desirae17

Answer by Desirae17 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2014