3 year old crying her eyes out = me having a panic attack!

She woke up screaming crying, like kicking her feet in sort of a tantrum crying. I figured she had a bad dream. No fever and shes not sick. But nothing I could do seemed to help. I held her for a while, tried laying with her, got her a drink of water... im the kind of person that has panic attacks when I feel helpless.. okay maybe not actual panic attacks but I will kind of freak out and start crying. She wouldn't tell me what was wrong so I put her in bed with daddy and she fell asleep.. then woke up an hour later crying again. I just dont get it. I put her back in her bed and she fell asleep right away. I really dont know what else I can do if she wakes up again, im already stressing just thinking about that helpless feeling. Advice/suggestions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:24 PM on Nov. 24, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's probably night terrors, it's very common at that age.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:57 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• there could be a number of things growing pains, growing teeth, she could have a headache you just gotta take a deep breath and stay calm and try not to think of everything that could be wrong. shes young she cant say much i have a 2 yr old and a 4 yr old trust me i been in panic mode just gotta take it in and do your best to solve the problem theres gonna be nights like that try some tylenol and go from there as for you try some candles and a bubble bath you sound like you need one hope this helps...
    clemintine25rae

Answer by clemintine25rae at 11:59 PM on Nov. 24, 2013

• I was thinking night terrors too. DS used to wake up crying and there was nothing I could do to make him stop. He wouldn't even acknowledge me, even when he would open his eyes. He would eventually fall back asleep, sometimes waking up again not long after that doing the same thing. This too shall pass.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:06 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Night terrors. She's not actually awake, so you trying to comfort her only makes things worse. Yes, they are terrifying as a parent. I've been there, with two kids.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:42 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Your reaction isn't going to help her. You're the adult. Your job is to soothe her and tell her everything will be ok. If you are reacting poorly, you're going to fail. Get help.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:43 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

3libras

Answer by 3libras

ditto

especially for some reason - girls

she most likely does not remember a thing in the morning

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 7:13 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Maybe she is gassy? What did she eat last night/yesterday? Did she eat a lot before bed?
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:59 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• I agree - probably night terrors. Not much you can do except remain calm and remember that she isn't really awake and won't remember this in the morning. If you sing to her, try singing her favorite song to her. It worked with my DD at that age. If you don't, just be there with her and do your best to console her - rub her back, tell her quietly that it's okay and you're right there with her.

As QuinnMae said, this too shall pass.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 9:52 AM on Nov. 25, 2013