Whether or not to keep a hyper dog that chews everything?

I am literally torn down the middle on whether to keep our dog or not. We have had him a year and he has a great personality. We have invested a lot of money already into him and it is either we throw in the towel and give him up or pay more money and have him trained which may not solve the problem anyway.

He chews up everything! If all the toys are picked up he chews on the couch and pillows. Countless toys, shoes, Christmas decorations, etc..destroyed. I know he is bored and I know he needs a lot of exercise. We give him toys and he gets bored of them. I play with him. We have a huge back yard and he loves to play outside but it makes him more energetic and he acts out. An example of his energy level. My husband took him rollerblading for at least a full hour. The dog was RUNNING full speed almost the entire time and he was still energetic. I am buying Christmas presents knowing they will just be chewed up. I have been very strict with the kids leaving out their toys and it works for a few days (then the couch gets attacked) but with four kids it is impossible to have every toy put away at all times.

I will be sad if I get rid of the dog. He is so sweet! which is why I am torn. I heard his bread Lab/Boxer mix may never grow out of it since they are very active breed. Any middle of the road opinions???? What I mean by that is dog lovers will say to keep the dog. And those that do not care for pets will say to get rid of the dog. I need assistance to decide.

AmyLynn5398

Asked by AmyLynn5398 at 9:26 AM on Nov. 25, 2013 in Pets

• You never said how old the dog is? If it is a puppy? Under 3 years old. Certain dog have tendency to chew, need more exercise. Sounds like you did not explore what kind of dog would be good for your family. If you do get rid of him. Search the web for what hind of dog would be good for you.

If you wait long enough your dog should out grow this chewing everything faze.

Answer by louise2 at 9:32 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• He is a little over a year old. We got him when he was a puppy. We actually did look it up and he was suppose to be a good fit. Great with kids even better with teens. We knew he needed a lot of attention and with six people in our family, one being a teenager that LOVES to play with him it is still not enough for this dog. My kids love to play with him, again it is still not enough for this dog.
    AmyLynn5398

Comment by AmyLynn5398 (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Sense he is a mutt. You do not really know what he was capable of doing.  Might want to get a full bread next time. Easier to know what the dog will be like.  But puppiesare like litte kids. They get into everything if you let them.

Answer by louise2 at 9:48 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Is he fixed? Too much testosterone could be making him crazy. He sounds like he needs a good run twice a day. if you're not ready for this commitment then maybe you should rehome him, but be upfront and Honest about his energy level or you may end up sending him to his death if the new owners didn't realize his energy level, they wont have as much invested as you and they may ship him off to the pound.

My German Shepherd Chews too, so I keep her in her kennel at night and when we go out. she doesn't chew her bed and now only chews the toys the kids leave outside. Have your teenager take him out on roller blades or a bike. he probably has all this left over pent up energy that he needs out. Don't think just physical stimulation either, teach him new tricks that will get him listening and paying attention. He sounds bored off his rocker. Don't give up on him yet.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:48 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• I would talk to your vet about suggestions. Just because he is enegetic he shouldn't chew things forever. I do know this, my shepard collie cross chewed things (credit cards, expensive sunglasses and the cord to an air conditioner in one day!!) until she was one and a half. She stopped right after we adopted a cat. They kept each other company and it really seemed to help her stop chewing. She is still energetic at age seven, but hasn't chewed anything other than her toys for a long time. GL
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:53 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Labs tend to be really energetic breeds, but they tend to calm down a bit around the 2-3 year age mark. They are hunting/retrieving dogs, so they need tons of exercise. Is there anywhere you can take him swimming? They're great swimmers, and swimming is great exercise. They are highly intelligent, but they need training, so I worth investing in training him.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:17 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• It*
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:18 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Crate train. He goes in his crate when you are not home. Or when you are sleeping.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:51 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• You might have to up his exercise and socialization. Walks *every day,* for instance - the length depending on his level of energy.

Is this something he does when you're not around? It could be separation anxiety. Our dog had it pretty bad as a pup - she'd howl and cry every time she was left alone. She's outgrown it (the anxiety) as she's gotten older, and since we stopped forcing her in the crate while we were gone (we left the webcam running once, she was MISERABLE, chewing at the crate and howling the whole time, does MUCH better when left loose).

I agree with other comments that he's still a pup and needs the chance to grow. They really do come into their own around 2-3 years old. And fixing him, if he's not already, I agree with that, as well.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:04 AM on Nov. 25, 2013

• I wouldn't get rid of the dog. I would train him, set boundaries and exercise him more. If you can't watch him he should be crated. Make sure he has toys that he can not easily destroy
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:40 AM on Nov. 26, 2013