Cough remedies for kids?

I brought my Son (7) to the Pediatrician this morning. He coughed all night long. The Dr. said it's an upper respiratory infection, let it run it's course & he can go to school since he has no fever. No antibiotics. So I kept him home today because the poor little guy cannot stop gagging & coughing up phlegm.

So I gave him Robitussin Cough & Cold this morning & it did nothing. Now I just gave him Children's Zyrtec & it's helping a little.

Any other remedies you know of to calm the cough? I remember Feral had a good one with honey? Any idea welcome even over the counter meds??

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 12:20 PM on Nov. 25, 2013 in Kids' Health

• We also do Vick's vapor run on her chest and her feet. I have no idea if that actually helps but we do. If she has a productive cough I will do an expectorant. You can ask your pharmacist. They sell them OTC. If it is a dry cough...that is not good. Take her to a different doctor. Coughs should be productive, wet and stuff coming up when you deliberately cough. Make her comfortable and stay home is what I do. If she can't breathe and snores all bets are off. I will hunt a doctor down and I will get medication. But all my friends are doctors so it's just not that hard. This also means I get great advice. Also on the humidifier...my daughter's specialists say to stay away despite the nurses saying otherwise. I vote no with the humidifier. Not all URI's are virus related. Many of them this year are bacterial so medication does help.
    Anonymous

• that's odd, i thought doctors usually treat upper respiratory infections with antibiotics? honey does help a sore throat. vicks on the feet and then covered with socks might help also. water is a natural expectorant as well.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:28 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• When my boys would have bad coughs, the only thing that worked was running a humidifier to keep lots of moisture in the air, and Delsym cough syrup.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:53 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Warm tea with lemon and honey might help. I know since it seems to be a productive cough, it might not be in his best interest to really supress his cough, but I'd definitely give him something to thin/break up the mucus and use a humidifier, so it'd be easier to cough it up.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:01 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections; the doctor could suspect a viral infection.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 2:03 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• URI's are going around and they are serious this year. Nasty. I run the shower on hot and clear my daughter out. She does not shower but goes in and sits with me while the bathroom steams up. I also tip her upside down and do what is called percussion on her back. An actual medical technique. I cup my hand like a C and beat on her back, while she is hanging off my legs so her head is slightly tilted down, and firmly pound where her lungs are and her upper back. This loosens the junk and be prepared for her to cough it up. Yuck. I do not have a humidifier because this actually causes more problems. More moisture in the air is actually bad when the lungs are already drowning. Yet every nurse and pediatrician I know will say to have one. Keep drinking lots and lots of fluids. I like hot teas with honey for my daughter.
    Anonymous

• The Dr.s here only give an antibiotic if you are on deaths doorstep. Grrr...It's so frustrating! My Son has had pneumonia every winter & it took me at least 3 Dr.'s visits to finally have them hear fluid in his lungs. I told the Dr. "last year this is how it started before he got pneumonia!" He said "we'll he has no fever so he just is mucasie & it's a regular cold. He said upper respiratory infections are regular cold. OYE!!! Then he said wait a week & if he's not better then bring him in & send him to school. So the kid can gag & cough all day at school & the Teachers think you're a bad Mom because you're not addressing the issue! So I wrote a note explaining everything to the Teacher & I'll send it with him tomorrow if he goes.

ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 12:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• I mix a bit of melted warm butter and a spoonful of honey and give it to my five-year-old, if she's in a mood where she'll swallow it, and it coats her throat and soothes her cough. It's anybody's guess if she'll take it on a given day, but if I can get her to, it works pretty well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:14 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Antibiotics will not help an upper respirtory infection, which by the way is a COLD. Try Vicks on the bottom of the feet with socks over. A vaporizer at night. Fluids to keep hydrated.

You doctor is smart to not prescribe antibiotics for every little thing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:02 PM on Nov. 26, 2013