Anyone ever have a foot cramp on the top (instep) of their foot?

Here's a medical question that is safe to ask online, as Im not going to die from it or anything... LOL

Last night I was in bed, almost asleep, when I suddenly got this intense burning sensation across the top of my foot... I couldn't move my foot at all, and it was very painful. It only lasted about 4 minutes (although it seemed forever), and then my foot was very sore as I slowly rotated my ankle around.

I have had a zillion foot cramps in my toes, and my arches. And that's all I can think of that would have happened last night. But, I have never had a cramp in my instep. Have any of you???? It was so weird. LOL

Nimue930

Asked by Nimue930 at 1:33 PM on Nov. 25, 2013 in Health

• I get them all the time, there's no real answer to what causes it, but it's just like leg cramps. What I hate is when I'm fighting to get out of bed without making it worse, and in the process, two more kick in at different parts of the other leg. Doctor always says more water, more potassium.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:19 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• it's usually a sodium, calcium, potassium, magnesium, iron imbalance.... or mucsle fatigue
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 4:07 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• thanks to both of you... Im going to look into the potassium thing.. I think I get a decent supply of all the rest. Plus, I just ordered some new shoes that should help. Im on my feet a lot, plus I have to dress professional... ie: skirt and blazer or a dress. So, sometimes my shoe choices lean towards dressy than comfy... :)
    Nimue930

Comment by Nimue930 (original poster) at 4:16 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• iron imbalance...

He never mentioned that one, makes so much more sense. I'm in and out of being anemic all the time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Yeah, low iron and or low magnesium is what I've found to be the problem more often that not in my female athletes. Any one of those minerals being out of sync with the others can cause cramping. PCP's come at it different then anyone in sports medicine. We are looking at a smaller picture so to speak - sometimes that is a good thing.

Also make sure you have good arch support in your shoes.... that can contribute to the problem too.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• I don't know if there's any truth to this or not, but I used to be on the swim team and we'd get foot cramps and leg cramps. The swim coach always told us to eat a lot of bananas, and when we did, the cramps would ease up. It could have been just some screwy thing he came up with out of his own head, but it seemed to work.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2013