Talking issues?!

My daughter just turned 20mos. She started talking saying Mama and Dada I would say about on time.. maybe 9mos. She said a couple other words but not many. And now it seems like she doesn't say any real words regularly. She will repeat some words and say them for that day, but the next day its like she forgot them. She might repeat them once in a while but thats about it. She is a very smart girl if you ask her what things are she knows and points to them or goes and gets them but she just doesnt say words.. Is this just her being lazy or..? Does she maybe have a problem? I heard that some babies are ahead physically and some are vocally. My daughter was always ahead on the physical part.. could this be why? She still says like words she makes up or whatever but no real words. I was also thinking about buying your baby can read, I saw on the Doctors that this helped a child that wasn't really speaking a lot but i dont know...

OliviasMommy614

Asked by OliviasMommy614 at 9:06 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First: Do NOT buy the "Your Baby Can Read" series. At best, she will memorize what a few words look like. At worst, it will harm her changes of actually learning to READ, not just memorize, words. Kids who learn to sight read generally fall behind their "phonics only" peers by 4th grade. The program is hype and potentially harmful. Do some research before you waste your money.

For the talking:
    It's very common for toddlers to use a word correctly one day and look at you blankly the next. They still know the word but are "storing" it for later use. If you are concerned, bring it up with her doctor. She may be developing just fine (it sounds that way to me) or there may be a problem developing... get professional help to decide.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I have the "Your Baby Can Read" program. I wasn't impressed with it(it's very roughly done compared to the DVD's I mention below.) and neither was my son. After watching the DVD's twice each he was totally bored. The program tells parents not to let their kids watch any other TV except for their DVD's. Not even to be in the same room with you while you're watching the news, etc. That's not practical in our family! The word cards are nice, but I wouldn't pay the price they asked for the entire program just for them! ($200+)
    As for teaching him to read, it is based on word recognition reading. Phonics is a better way to learn reading. It definitely didn't teach him to talk, either.
    I like the Leapfrog DVD's called Letter Factory and Talking Words Factory. All the Baby Einstein DVD's are entertaining and helpful, too.
    Children AVERAGE a two word sentence at about two years old. Some kids can do this early and some late.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 9:19 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• my son is now 25 months old and went through the same.. he still doesnt talk. He has always been ahead physically though... so we are in a similar situation... he doesnt say more than 6 words i think... maybe 10 the most. I am really worried... he is not autistic he is very smart as well becuase he points at wahtever he wants... and understands us... but he just wont talk. Our doctor recommended us to a speech therapist but our appointment isntuntil april GRR! hate that. meanwhile i'm just trying to help as much as i can by encouraging him. He is better now.. like he tries to repeat what we tell him to repeat... but sometimes and mostly it's half of the word. so there might be something wrong with his hearing or soemthing... tell ur doctor... she might just tell u to wait... like they ikept on telling me... HOPE SHE ADVANCES SOON! wish you the best of LUCK!! and lots of PATIENCE OFCOURSE!!
    firstXmomTX

Answer by firstXmomTX at 10:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• My son didnt start talking till he was three. Kids will talk when they are ready. No worries.
    sweetamber2386

Answer by sweetamber2386 at 1:01 AM on Feb. 26, 2009