How do you feel about people who ask for help with Christmas gifts?

Yes, I know it's a very touchy subject. But, what is your honest opinion?

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 3:26 PM on Nov. 25, 2013 in Holidays

• First of all, I fucking can't stand scammers. I will never help someone online, period. Now, if I have a friend or relative who needs help and will appreciate it (i.e. is having a hard time despite working their ass off or trying everything they can before asking), I am more than happy to help.

I've been through some very tough times in the past 5 years, and never once did I ask for help (aside for getting a little in food stamps). I have no sympathy for people who are unwilling to help themselves.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:51 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• I don't like it when it's done on this site. I don't like being solicited by a stranger. Though, if someone wants to ask someone that they know or go through an official program, then that's fine.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 3:30 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Not a fan at all, tbh I will NEVER help another cafemommer again. I helped one she was so rude in relaying messages from her husband because the gc I sent didn't come on day it was supposed to ( showed up a day later after I had them cancel it & resend it). Ok I would help those I'm friends with. But people have 11 months to plan for this, get your shit together!!
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 3:44 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• I agree with libras, asking in itself isn't the problem, waiting till the last second (past all the deadlines) unless something catastrophic happened and asking on sites like this bug me.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 3:35 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• I have no problem with people asking "where do I go for help". It's the ones who ask for help from here that I immediately write off as scammers.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:57 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• she is still here,

Which is bullshit in itself. Soliciting personal donations is a ToS violation, stealing copyrighted material and posting it as your own is a ToS violation. She's done both.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Until this question, I didn't realize how many different people she conned that year. I only knew of one.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• There is a time and place for it. This forum is not either of those.

If a close friend or family came to me and asked for help, I would help them without hesitation. But a random stranger on the internet?? Uh... nope. If you are really in need there is plenty of help available from local charities. Begging strangers online is not okay.

I did against my better judgement help an answers regular, I sent Christmas gifts for her kids. I didn't even get a thank you. That was it for me. No more!

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:41 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• I often wonder where the father/BF/grandparents/friends are for these people
    I can't help but wonder if some are trying to scam people because of the excuses. "Oh,I can't go to Goodwill, the dollar store,thrift stores,Free Cycle,Craig's list,churches,etc" It seems like some just want someone to do it all for them
    I wonder why no one thinks to buy stuff months in advance
    I belong to a FB group and some of the things people ask for for free,boggles my mind. An IPhone??Really?
    And to point out,I grew up dirt poor. When my mom didn't have the money for gifts,i just didn't get much...or anything. Sometimes you just have to say,this is going to be a thin holiday.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Don't suppose that 'CHRISTMAS" was part of her SN, by any chance?
    Anonymous