What do you think of gofundme.com?

My dd decided to sign up for gofundme.com in order to try and raise money for their Dream Honeymoon. $4,000! This is on top of the almost $30,000 wedding they are having. So who's the one that's bonkers....me for thinking it's outrageous or her when they can't even pay their student loans let alone $30,000 for a wedding and then want everyone else to pay for their Honeymoon.

Oh and did I forget to mention she's been married before, they've been living together for the last 3 years and have a sweet adorable little girl together.

baconbits

Asked by baconbits at 4:22 PM on Nov. 25, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

• I think it's an appropriate site when used for the correct reason. I know of a newly married couple who used it for people who couldn't travel to their wedding, and it was a good thing. It saves trying to buy a gift, or mail money to someone. i believe this couple used it towards their home purchase. So I have no problem with it, really. But 30 grand for a wedding... when bills aren't being paid... that does bother me.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 4:39 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• If people are daft enough to send money to strangers, then why the heck not?! Where do I sign up? I could think of a few good reasons for people to send me money ;p
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:27 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• I think it's an appropriate site when used for the correct reason

This - raise money for your kid to go compete at nationals in whatever it is they compete in, great. Use it because you aren't quite spoiled enough, no thanks.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:05 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• I gave money once to help pay for funeral costs.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Their priorities are backward.   Marriage then live together then baby! 

I doubt she is putting all that in here story!

Answer by louise2 at 4:30 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• My goodness!
    who is paying for the wedding?
    I would be talking to your DD about money, perhaps gofundme, could pay for college for the child?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:34 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• www.gofundme.com

I checked it out and there's all kind of crazy things you can give money to. What they do is send it to everyone you are friends with on Facebook as well as let strangers see the post as well to donate if they want.
    baconbits

Comment by baconbits (original poster) at 4:36 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• In your daughter's case, it's ridiculous.

In the case of the old man that was swindled out of his own house that he BUILT by his money grubbing daughter, it was a good idea.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:06 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Found the guy I was referring to: John Potter

Link #1 from huffington post

Link #2 from a UK newspaper

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 6:10 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Trust me when I say I am NOT paying anything toward this wedding. I ended up paying for the majority of the first wedding to a jerk. Now this guy I totally approve of and he's a real sweetheart but to me a dream wedding and honeymoon is one you can afford. He's grandparents said they would help but not how much.

I also read some of the other gofundme's and some of them were wonderful while others seemed selfish to me.
    baconbits

Comment by baconbits (original poster) at 9:30 AM on Nov. 26, 2013