New laws 2014 for car seats.

I just seen where there is a new law starting 2014 that kids have to be 65 pounds now to be in not a boster, but an actual carseat with the clip. I 8 and a half year old isnt even 65 pounds so now to figure out how to get her back into a carseat after just getting her out of a booster and plus my 5 almost 6 year old back into a carseat (she is in a backless booster) and then I have a 2 year old still in a carseat so how to put 3 carseats in our car

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:54 PM on Nov. 25, 2013 in General Parenting

• While those are the recommendations on a national level most states have different laws for legality. Meaning some states have laws where children have to be in a car seat up to age 3 etc. but I don't think any state has a law about being in a booster up to 65 lbs etc. I would call your local police station(non emergency line) and ask them about your states laws.

You would not be able to fit 3 seats in your typical car.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 7:12 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Links?
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 8:02 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:23 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• OP can you provide a link to where you saw that "law"???
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:25 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• I believe it does not only go by weight but height as well.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• They really need to stick to height, not weight.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 8:55 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• OP, where'd you get your info? The link that tnt gave says something entirely different than what you are.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 9:11 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Yeah, I'm not seeing any new laws, just what someone posted earlier about them "having" to say that the anchors won't hold for a child and seat more than 60 lbs together.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 10:14 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• I saw this new law. The idea is not to anchor a seat with a seat latch if your child and seat together weigh more than 65 pounds because in crash tests the latch could fail to hold up if a the combined wright is more. It also suggests a five point harness for those kids up to age eight. I do think that is safer but....my son' scar line at school would have a fit. Half the kids are not in a booster seat. I still have my seven year old in a booster with a latch. His booster weighs next to nothing. He is under 65. I may move it to unmatched just to be careful. I use his actual car seat on longer trips. Honestly I wish I had a luxury car with a five point big kid harnes built in to a higher but adjustable seat.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Nov. 26, 2013