Bedding as a kids gift (and other necessities)

my 9 y/o asked for a bedding set for Christmas and it looks like it may end up being fairly expensive.... possibly in the $120 range if I can even locate what he wants.

It feels weird/gross/stupid to give him a necessity as a gift....where do u stand on such things? It's not special or fun or exciting...... it's bedding.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 10:52 PM on Nov. 25, 2013 in Holidays

• I they ASK for it, i's not weird, it's what he wants.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:09 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• Our 11 yr old asked for the same thing. I'm getting it, it's easy, and he'll love it.......
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:29 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• My 21 year old asked for fleece sheets for his new bed. They are wrapped sitting by the fire place right now... Add something cool like the wall decals, a model car to paint, some hot wheels posters, etc. They're cheap and a little more fun
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 11:47 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• I've done that. If it's what they want and ask for, and it's in that year's budget, I have no problem with it.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 11:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• He asked for it, so obviously he will like it. Maybe give him a little something fun and inexpensive to go along with it, ut let the bedding be his main gift. I don't see any problem with it at all.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:50 PM on Nov. 25, 2013

• When I was 15, I begged for a zebra print set that I saw in the mall. It was probably a $300+ bed set, but I got it, and it lasted all thru college!
    If that's what he wants, get it!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:02 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Daughter has gotten the girls a couple of sets for Christmas. The kids love it!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:22 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• I got my son bedding for Christmas lol. BUT he just moved into a full size bed and wants Super Mario sheets so Santa will be bringing them for him. They were only $30. Doesn't come with a comforter but he has plenty of large fleece blankets and doesn't stay under covers anyway so I'm not worried about it.
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 1:02 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• If he already has one but wants a specific one, then it is not a necessity, but a want. 

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:27 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• When they request it, it no longer becomes just a necessity. It's a want. I think it's cool your 9 year old is requesting such a mature gift - my 9 year old is still hung up on Legos and video games.

I'm not against giving necessities, because I like to mix some of the needed in with the wanted.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 12:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2013