Trying to fix my son's eating habits...need suggestions please!

Hi i have a two year old son and he use to eat anything and try anything before he turned 1 year old. Up until now, I have been giving in ... trying to fix his eating habits but i guess i give in just so he'll eat. All he likes to eat is pizza, mac and cheese, bread, sometimes pasta, and wont try any of the soups i make him...he basically doenst like watery stuff.... so i try to make thicker soups and that doesnt work either... right now i served both of us in the same type of plate.. .it has 3 other divisions apart from the bigger one that is the main course space... i served sliced cooked carrots seasoned a bit with salt and pepper, i cut strips of meat, a bit of pieces of pineapple, mash potatoes, and then a bit of mac and cheese. Everything was small portion... specially the mac and cheese..
well he only ate the mac and cheese and a bit of fruit... and kinda just poke at everything else and tried to feed it to me ...

firstXmomTX

Asked by firstXmomTX at 9:14 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would really appreciate some ... suggestions .. haha i ran out of space... please no bashing ...i know it's my fault mainly because i gave in the first place... now i just gotta stay tough and not keep doing that... when he sees that we served soemthing that he doenst like ..he just wants to get off the table... and goes to the pantry and wants popcorn or whatever he can find that's junk food... should i just not allow anythinglike that at home for a while??

firstXmomTX

Answer by firstXmomTX at 9:16 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Thats a great idea! DD will ask for cookies all day! But if she sees they are all gone, its no big deal. If I say no, its drama drama drama.

One thing that has worked for me is shredding green peppers into her food. She loves cheese quesadillas and macaroni and cheese. I will shred green peppers with a cheese shredder into the quesadilla or mac and cheese. She loves it! I think shredding makes the chunks small enough so that she doesn't really notice them but learns to enjoys the taste.
    jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• The best way I found for my son to explore new foods was to get him involved in choosing and preparing the foods. That's how he came to always love having veggies - so long as I served them with a food he also loved, like mac'n'cheese. Since I'm only cooking for the two of us, it's easy for me to serve him one thing and myself another, thanks to single-serve products. Also, just make sure you offer him healthy choices - throw out junk food and only keep healthy choices around for snacking. He'll eat when he's hungry, so just make sure he has mostly healthy choices around to choose from. Also, go ahead and let him feed you - that gives him a little more control at dinner time and he might be willing to try new things.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:52 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Your son & my DD would get along great!! She loves fruit. She loves mac-n-cheese, oatmeal, bread & anything sweet.. Its rare she will eat meat (maybe a few bites a week!) and the only veggie she may eat is corn. she will eat spegetti-O's sometimes for lunch but isnt interested in many soups.
    I dont know what to do with her. since she is such a small eater everyone says let her eat as much of the good stuff (fruit) she can & let the mac-n-cheese slide atleaste she is getting calories.. **UGH!** Her father is also a picky eater. he is a meat eater to the max. so she gets it straight from him.lol.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• Don't give him different choices. Just give him a small amount of one thing at a time. Just keep on trying new things and he will eventually budge. Get Annabell Karmel's books on family and todd;er food. Look them up on Amazon where you can buy used for really cheap.
    Anonymous

• Hey thanks girls! yeah momma tasha ... my son likes oatmeal too... he use to eat spaguetti ... now he doenst want to bother with it ..i think the othe rpart of it is that he doenst succeed very well when eating it... hahaha and gets mad when he gets messy... id ont care but he does!! I guess it's okay since he eats alot of fruits... but i'll be so happy if only he woudl eat the good tasting veggies... he wont even eat corn!! oh but he likes cheeseburgers from mcdonalds?? i like to give him that sometimes but i feel so bad about it since he doenst eat anything good. Eggs are another thing i wanna get him to eat.. i've tried to give him scrambbled... sunny side up... boiled... running out of ideas !! i even tried mixing in the scrambled egg in the fruit he wont eat it... once i mixed in the corn with his mac and cheese and he just refused the mac and cheese for a wh ole week hahaha thought i was gonna keep on sneaking it in agai
    firstXmomTX

Answer by firstXmomTX at 10:00 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• If he likes those things, be sure to make them yourselves and add things that will help his body that dont have such a strong taste. Maybe puree veggies and put them under the cheese or just mix them in the sauce. You can do the same with other things he likes, just mix the veggies in. As long as hes getting a good amount of veggies and fruits he should be ok. I dont think eliminating them all together in the house will help, it might just make him upset. Try buying snacks that look like junkfood but are still good for him, like healthier gummies, look for like organic or healthy chips and crackers that have lots of veggies and stuff in them. Maybe try adding things in here and there that are healthier but he will still like. Or maybe try to bribe him to eat some better foods. lol might sound bad but that might help him realize that he really likes certain foods he doesnt think he likes. Tell him he'll get a toy or extra play
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 11:07 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• How about broccolli, and add ranch. My 15 month old is strange like that. He won't eat it unless it has ranch... or ketchup, or something else on it. I can't stand ranch, so he must get it from my husband. lol. Maybe you can try some "flavor enhancing" on his veggies where he can dip it himself. It works w/ mine... on almost anything! Good luck hun!
    Darq_Sin

Answer by Darq_Sin at 11:12 PM on Feb. 19, 2009