WHY is it considered "rude" .....

to tell someone when they should consult their healthcare provider? Yes I am talking to all you women wondering if you are pregnant or how much of X medication you should give your child who is X years old and weighs X pounds. We can speculate for you, but we'd rather not. We can support you through pregnancy and miscarriage, but we cannot tell you if you are pregnant or miscarrying. Those types of thing require much more training than most of us have. Even a licensed doctor needs to have you physically present. So please, take no offence and consult with your doctors. Oh yes, and heaven forbid we tell you to give your child X amount and he/she dies of an overdose. Always consult your child's doctor.

2autisticsmom

Asked by 2autisticsmom at 8:35 AM on Nov. 26, 2013 in General Parenting

• It's not rude. It covers both our ass and Cafemom's ass. You know one day one of these whackadoodles is going to try to sue for advice they have been given.

My advice, from a medical point of view.... Never suggest anything until they consult a physician.

Hell, you can get sued helping out at a car accident, or helping someone who has had a heart attack out in public. Not going to touch this stuff....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:53 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Well dear it's because common sense isn't so common :)
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 8:40 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• clapping

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:40 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• not rude
    it is smart advice

we are not doctors or medical professionals

when i have called my doctor's office, even they will not give dx over the phone
    no advice without seeing me
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:45 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:43 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Yup...

mindboggling that we get so many of those questions!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:45 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Not rude at all, I do it all the time....

Answer by older at 8:55 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• It's not rude at all. It's the best advice we can give. We can not take lab work, scans, etc to diagnose someone. We do not know medical history, family history, etc, all that is used to diagnose people. I mean we can speculate, but so many illnesses, diseases, syndromes, etc share the same symptoms, so without it would very difficult for us to differentiate. And pregnancy symptoms are very similar to PMS. You really need a physical examination, lab work, etc to determine what exactly is going on which is not anything we (strangers on the Internet) can do. I guess we could start telling everyone they have cancer, but that would be rude and mean.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 9:14 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• I don't mind the am I pregnant questions. I don't think the woman really expects us to tell her, she just wants to try out speaking about it.

Answer by Bmat at 9:18 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• That is how I feel about it to.

Answer by louise2 at 9:43 AM on Nov. 26, 2013