Is Thursday (Thanksgiving) the only day you have 'Thanksgiving'?

I ask because it seems it is such a big deal that RETAIL workers have to work on Thanksgiving. Why the outrage just for retail? Do they (the people who complain about Walmart, etc being open Thanksgiving) not realize that are thousands of people who already do work on Thanksgiving and have for a very long time? My side of the family all have crazy schedules, and none of them get holidays off typically. (Truck driver, railroad employee, 2 nurses) The world doesn't stop revolving for a holiday, and who says you have to observe a holiday on the actual date? We had our Thanksgiving Sunday before my sister had another chemo treatment the following day, so she could enjoy herself. I guess I think people should be more flexible and make lemonade when given lemons.

I guess this is just a pet peeve of mine. Stepping off my soapbox now. EDIT: Ignore my soapboxiness, but I'd still like to know if you have Thanksgiving on Thanksgiving or another day?

mommy_jules

Asked by mommy_jules at 8:58 AM on Nov. 26, 2013 in Holidays

• I celebrate Thanksgiving or try to everyday of my life, but I hear you!!! and holidays can always be revised to fit your need.....

Answer by older at 9:03 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Is Thursday (Thanksgiving) the only day you have 'Thanksgiving'?

For some people, yes. We've never had a Thanksgiving where someone didn't have to work, whether it was the kids in the family who had jobs in retail or restaurants, or the older ones who work at the steel mill which does not shut down for anything. The ones who own their own businesses cannot shut down on weekends. Others work in office jobs where they cannot take a weekday off from now until Februrary unless it was scheduled before February this year.

A day where it's pre-arranged and acceptable for things to be shut down is the only day most of the people there can be there. There will always be some who can't, but to act like it's rude of people to be upset when even more people can't be there is irrational.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:15 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• There will always be some who can't, but to act like it's rude of people to be upset when even more people can't be there is irrational.

Good point.
    mommy_jules

Comment by mommy_jules (original poster) at 9:21 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• We have had Thanksgiving on Friday the last two years so my nephew can be with us. He stays with his mom on Thursday, then comes to our house on Friday.

It's just easier for us to gorge on Friday.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:31 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• That's when we do it. I know people that have Thanksgiving a couple weeks early because of travel plans. My mom and my Aunt had Thanksgiving a couple weeks ago because my Aunt is traveling this week.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:10 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• My family gets together to celebrate on thanksgiving. We've never done it another day.

Answer by missanc at 11:21 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• We'd already been planning on celebrating it this Sunday, after my brother gets home from Dallas. Found out yesterday my stepdad will make it home tonight (he's a longhaul truckdriver) and so we'll also be celebrating it Thursday.. AND Sunday now. I don't see the big deal in delaying something. For us it's about family and food, not the date on the calendar. It's been a while since we've had to delay it because someone worked, but it's been done and I don't feel much sympathy. Does it suck? Of course... but that doesn't have to make or break your holiday.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:55 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• I don't do the whole Thanksgiving thing. I own a retail business, so for me, there is no rest. It is, instead, our day of preparation.

The girls go do their dads, so I don't ever cook.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:56 AM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Honestly, I think some people have too much time on their hands, if who has to work on Thanksgiving and who doesn't is the biggest thing they've got to worry over during this holiday season.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Why the outrage just for retail? Because it is non-essential. Hospitals need to be open, law enforcement needs to happen, trucks need to make deliveries and trains gotta run. But nobody NEEDS to shop. It's one thing if an employee volunteers to work and quite another when you don't. It's a family holiday and I don't even get to see my family. I'm quite numb to it anymore. I don't get to see my husband until christmas. Then I won't see him again until after new years. My extended family is all out of state so I don't get to see them either. It wasn't so long ago that stores would be closed on Thursday. They had their door busters at 4am the next day. Sadly greed has now moved it into a family holiday.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:37 PM on Nov. 26, 2013