Florida Christian school tells black student - cut and style your hair or you're expelled for leaving it natural

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/africanamerican-girl-faces-expulsion-over-natural-hair/-/1637132/23159400/-/ajs6jbz/-/index.html

Anyone see anything wrong with her hair?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 11:56 AM on Nov. 26, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I think it's cute.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 12:17 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Her hair is cute and she has a nice smile.

I suppose I would have to know what the student handbook says and what the parents agreed to. If they weren't specific as to what a distraction is (besides mohawk and rat tail) then she should be allowed to stay.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Boy has this school messed up. They have now opened the door for any student to claim another students hair is distracting them. If this girl's hair is a distraction, then what about a girl with vibrant red hair that is long, or naturally curly? Like the character in Brave.... I have an employee with hair like that and it's so beautiful I find myself staring at it like some perv!! Lol. Is that child singled out? The school would be better off redefining their policy to say if hair is artificially altered...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• A distraction to one person is not a distraction to another," said VanDyke's mother, Sabrina Kent. "You can have a kid come in with pimples on his face. Are you going to call that a distraction?"

The mom has a very good point, and it seems the school is just now calling it a distraction because that might be easier to deal with than address the possible bullying situation. I find a good many things distracting, but you can't make rules to address every possible distracting scenario. I can see where her hair could possibly obstruct another child's view of the teacher's notes/board, but I would think that could be easily remedied without expelling her or asking her to change it.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:01 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• She's beautiful just the way she is.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 1:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• I haven't read the whole thing, but based on what I see here, it's stupid. It's her hair. It's not dyed, it's not some hairsprayed, sticking up afro clearly designed to be in the way. It's her natural hair, and to call that a distraction is utterly ridiculous. Make up can be a distraction, brightly colored or revealing clothing can be, hair can be if it's dyed an unnatural color or styled in a way designed to draw attention. But this is natural hair, and no different than the color of her skin or whether she has acne or freckles or a big nose or thin lips. IF, and I do mean IF, her hair is somehow interfering with another's ability to see, why not simply move the other child, or move this girl? That would be a much easier, quicker, and more sane way of handling this.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 1:23 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• She's so cute! But man she does have a lot of hair... I thought I had too much hair! But it looks beautiful, and she should be allowed to let her hair do its thing naturally. Too many people feel they have to force their hair to do what they want it to by using chemicals, heat, and hundreds of dollars in beauty products. This girl doesn't feel the need to fo all that, and I think that's very refreshing in a young person.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 2:18 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• her hair is big, but its not like she made it that way. her hair is natural and part of who she is. the school is wrong, and whoever is distracted by this should make accommodations for themselves (sit in front of her, etc.).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 3:12 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• My kids' school has a policy on hair...no weird hair cuts or do's, no unnatural hair coloring. She would be fine at our kids' school.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:45 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• what gets me isnt the fact that they told her that...but that they waited till she complained about being bullied b/c of her hair. private schools are notorious for taking the small thing (her hair) over the bigger issue (bullies).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:53 PM on Nov. 26, 2013