Dumb question about green bean casserole

Okay, this is going to be the stupidest question ever, because this is the dish that's so easy nobody can mess it up, right? But I can't find a recipe online that actually give proportions, like how much of each thing to put in. The recipes just say to use green beans, mushroom soup, and French fried onions, plus this or that added to it, but they don't say how much of each. So if I want to make a casserole for eight or nine, give or take, how much of each ingredient would I need to use? Thanks.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 2:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2013 in Food & Drink

• It seems that most everyone uses about a 2:1 ratio of green beans to cream of soup.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 4:05 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Green bean casserole is the only way my DH will eat green beans. I made the green bean casserole for our Thanksgiving this year, and I used 5 cans of green beans, homemade cream of chicken soup (equal to about 2 cans), a few tablespoons of sour cream or yogurt, and a bag of French fried onions. That filled a 9x13 baking dish and fed about 13 adults.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:47 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• I make it with 1 16 oz bag of frozen green beans, 2 cans of mushroom soup, and I buy a big canister of french fried onions and just put them over the top until it's covered. I feed 5 people with that and we have leftovers. If you really don't think it'll be enough, I'd double it, but I don't think I'd go beyond doubling unless you plan to freeze some and save it for later.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 4:00 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• The recipe SHOULD be on the container of French's French Fried Onions. That's where I remember finding it, when I need it. If not, here's the recipe from French's.com. As is, the recipe should serve 6.

http://www.frenchs.com/recipe/frenchs-green-bean-casserole-RE1511

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:34 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• I'm going off the top of my head here, but I think mine is 2 cans of beans, one can of cream of mushroom soup, a soup can of milk, half the can of fried onions mixed in, and the other half to crisp on top, and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper.
    For that many people I'd double it. I'll double check if this is correct and update you!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Not everyone is going to eat it. So, I would make it on and one to one basis. I guess if you feel it's not going to be enough, I'd just double the green beans and the cream of soup. The onions are totally up to you on how many you want to use. Start off with one can of each and see what you think. If I am remembering correctly it was almost perfect....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 2:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 2:50 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• This comes right off the back of the French's French fried onion package.
    1 (10oz)can Campbells cream of mushroom soup
    3/4 cup milk
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 1/3 cups French fried onions
    2 (14 oz) cans green beans, drained OR 2 (9oz) packages frozen cut green beans thawed.
    Mix soup and milk, then add pepper, beans and 2/3 cup fried onions in a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish. bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until hot top with remaining onions bake another 5 minutes.

I usually Double this recipe for Thanksgiving.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:27 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• I will tell you that using fresh mushrooms and green beans makes a world of difference. I saute my mushrooms and green beans in a bit of butter before I put them in.
    This should be enough to feed everyone a portion with about 8 people
    1 lb fresh green beans.
    1 8 oz package button mushrooms chopped
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1/4 cup chicken broth
    1/2 can durkee 16 0z friend onions
    parm cheese or about 1/2 cup cheddar
    bake and then put rest of onions on the top and broil for the last 5 minutes. LOL- you should bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, take the casserole pre-baked and just broil when you get there!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:27 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• This is the ONLY dish my husband CANNOT make taste good!
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:40 PM on Nov. 26, 2013