Laundry problem... Help!

I was washing a load of my daughter's clothes, and noticed that after drying it, there was a red crayon in there. Ugh.. there are red spots ALL over ALL the clothes..

My problem is, our hot water pipe burst a little while ago, and it has yet to be replaced.
Could I boil water and add it to the washer to get the crayon out? Anything else I can add?

If I put my own hot water into the washer, what setting to I put it on to start it (so it doesn't fill up with cold water too?)

How frustrating. Thanks for any help.

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 3:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2013 in Home & Garden

• Are the whites, or in jeans and what not? Try some baking soda and vinegar on the stains, if they are all discolored, I say head to the laundry mat and bleach and wash on hot (as long as they are whites).
    I was about to send an APB about where in the hell you had ran off to!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:48 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• PS, be sure to check the inside of the dryer, when that happened at our house the crayon was still all over and melted to the inside.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Start your washer with whatever heat setting works, add enough boiling water to get the water really hot, add detergent, cup of vinegar, and some Dawn dish detergent. Put the clothes in and manually turn the agitator so they are all mixed togther well. Let them soak about 15 to 20 minutes, and run the cycle.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:49 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• yeah, and a Mr Clean Magic Eraer will get the crayon off the inside of the dryer....

I had three boys... This happned more than once.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• They are all colors.. some white (now gray) socks but that's about it. Silly me thought a regular cycle in cold would get it out.. I washed practically all her clothes, too.. we're going out of town tomorrow. Eeek!

Haha, I stepped out of the dark ages and got a new phone, I should cave and get cafemom on there. The laptop was getting dusty.
    anestheticsex

Comment by anestheticsex (original poster) at 3:52 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• The inside of the dryer was clean.. I made sure to check. Thanks for the help, Nimue.. I will try those steps. :)
    anestheticsex

Comment by anestheticsex (original poster) at 3:53 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• I did all the steps and the crayon is still there, bright as day.. OH noooo! I'm boiling some more water and will give it another go.
    anestheticsex

Comment by anestheticsex (original poster) at 5:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Is the crayon as bad as before? Have the stains faded at all? If the stains are fading, have you tried shout? I don't know if it will work but it's worth a try. I was always told if you wash in cold water stains are less likely to set whereas washing in warm or hot makes it harder to get out.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:33 AM on Nov. 27, 2013