what can i do for a cough on a 4 year old

GrandRose

Asked by GrandRose at 7:35 PM on Nov. 26, 2013 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Humidifier and Vicks are your best shot. Cough medicines are not approved for children under the age of 6. You could give some Tylenol if it seems like the child is in pain. If the cough persists longer than 2 weeks, call a doctor.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Wash it off.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:10 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• LOL Stacieandababy

Honey will work better then over the counter cough meds, combine it with vicks and a humidifier(or set them in the bathroom with a steamy shower running).

Obviously if they don't get better then contact the doctor.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 8:25 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• You can call a doctor and ask for their advice.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:42 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Okay first of all, coughing is a good thing.... It's the body's way of clearing out a foreign ingredient, be it dust, pollen, and yes, even mucus!!! With that being said, I know it is annoying and tends to cause lack of sleep. You really need to check with his physician before you self medicate. I can tell you 1,000 things to do, but will not because I have no clue as to his past or present medication condition.... Call his Dr. and get him seen....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:17 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I agree that taking him to the doc is your best option. You need to know what you're dealing with so that you can treat it effectively.

In the meantime, my kids will sip warm liquids (water or apple juice) when they have a bad cough. The warm liquid soothes the scratchy throat better than anything else they will take. And you need to keep him hydrated anyway.

But do take him to the doc. You don't want him to get worse.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 4:20 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Lots of fluids! My 5 year old has the worst cough all the time, especially in the mornings - his dad is a smoker and refuses to not smoke in his house... it's freaking horrible. But anyway, my son usually just has a water bottle next to his bed, just for the mornings.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 11:21 AM on Nov. 27, 2013