Fake Xmas tree? Any advice/Brand or comments I should be aware of?

I've read branches can be flimsy and don't hold ornaments well and needles come off. Have you found this to be true? Did you buy a very expensive one? Or have a brand you like?

Too many allergies so we're taking the fake tree plunge.

Thx!

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 11:22 PM on Nov. 26, 2013 in Holidays

• I have heard that as a problem with real not fake ones.

I love my little black fake tree. I've had it since 2010 and it's still nice. Before that, we had two of those fiber optic trees for several years. We also had a 7-ft fake tree that we used for 10 years. We only recently tossed it but that was b/c it was destroyed by flood waters.

I prefer fake. Much easier.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 5:40 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• We've had our fake tree for a while, so I can't tell you a brand. (sorry) We've always had fake trees (even when I was growing up) & never had an issue with needles coming off or the branches being too flimsy. They are so much easier, IMO.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:16 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I have one I bought at Trget aabout 8 yrs ago?
    it doesn't lose too many needles- well, notuntil this year when I had to rip the original lights off and replace them
    what a pain in the butt THAT was. It's a really nice tree though- and white :) . I love it

just get one that appeals to you. I've had the cheap cheap ones and they were fine too- but then I like a less full type of tree anyway and those thend to be that way
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:17 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• *woah- look at those typos!
    sorry...no coffee for me this morning, I'm going for a road trip -leaving soon
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:49 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Go to Menard's - they turn their patio display section into a Christmas display section - tons of different types of trees will be out and decorated, and you can compare them and see how sturdy each one is.
    Pre-lit is easier to put up than unlit, since you don't have to string the lights each year, but finding the one that burned out can take longer in subsequent years.
    DON'T get a fiber optic tree (if they still make them). Those are the ones with flimsy branches, because they were never intended to hold ornaments.
    Be mindful of how much room you really have to work with - you can't cut the bottom off if it's too tall.
    Look at the very top and how it's designed. Ours we have to bend over double to hold up most tree toppers, because that one branch isn't wide enough to support them vertically.
    You will need to shape the tree every time you set it up (bend the branches around to fill in gaps evenly)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:19 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• We're military and our rotation happens during the holidays...so we bought a fake tree, decorated it and then took a photo of it. Then took it all apart and packed it up so the movers could ship our stuff before Thanksgiving. When we arrive at our new location, I take the enlarged and laminated photo of our tree and tape it to the mirror of the hotel room. Then we stack our presents on the counter under the photo. LOL

We talked about getting an enlarged/laminated photo of a roaring fire lit fireplace to go next to the Xmas Tree photo to make it more cozy. LOL
    vanillaorchida

Answer by vanillaorchida at 3:11 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I love the fiber optics trees...the lights are pretty and there are no tangles string lights to mess with! Just set up the tree and hang ornaments and you're done!
    vanillaorchida

Answer by vanillaorchida at 3:13 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Thanks you guys. I ordered one this morning so we'll see....keeping fingers crossed!
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 2:59 PM on Nov. 27, 2013