Thanksgiving plans

My 8yr old DD has informed me that I can't stay home alone on Thanksgiving Day. I don't have any family close and I split custody with my ex. We split the day on T-Day. I THINK I am ok, just staying home and chilling in my pjs, but she is NOT ok with this idea. In the past I have suffered with severe depression, but I'm doing ok right now. Sure I have some days, but overall I am ok. I am planning on cooking a T-day meal over the weekend with her since I have her this weekend (she spends most weekends with my ex), but day of I have no plans. How should I handle this? The past couple of years I have gone to various friends' house but two years ago I was REALLY struggling. Last year I went to a friend's lake house and did all the cooking for everyone. Should I try to find someone to crash with? if so how should I handle this? If I stay home, how do I reassure my dd that it really is ok?

MChildressDem

Asked by MChildressDem at 11:30 PM on Nov. 26, 2013 in Holidays

• She's worried about you, that's sweet.
    Tell her you have a good book to read and will be happy and thankful she'll be with her dad.
    Then, come on CM and hang out with me, lol

We're waiting on our son to come home on leave so This will be the first Thanksgiving W/O family.
    It'll be very, very weird!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:41 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• First let me thank you for sharing your son!

I think I am perfectly happy chilling in my PJs but I say THINK because I am really not sure. I hate holidays in general because it makes me realize exactly how alone I am when everyone else is surrounded by family and friends. I am an extrovert and generally don't do well when isolated.
    MChildressDem

Comment by MChildressDem (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• Your sweet for saying that, thanks!

I have ALWAYS been the go to house for holidays, so I'm a little freaked about Thursday.
    I have our customers asking me if I'm cooking, where will I go etc. And if I'm to be honest, I'm jealous of all the turkey talk and it makes me very, very hungry, lol
    But...if my son can't be here and has to give it up, so can I.
    I'll just hang out and check in here to hear everyone's stories of family spats and burnt turkeys, lol
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:53 PM on Nov. 26, 2013

• I went to visit a dear friend of mine one year specifically because her husband was in Afghanistan over Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I wanted to support her during at least one of the holiday. It made me appreciate in a whole new way what our military families go through. KT, I second the thanks. And OP, I also think your daughter is sweet.I'm glad you are in a place where you feel more comfortable with the holiday and les depresse. It can be hard, when everyone seems to be focused on family and all that. Could you maybe find a place to volunteer your time for a while? Or curl up with a holiday movie you enjoy?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:02 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• How about volunteering at a local church that is serving meals to the needy that day? You wouldn't be alone & would feel good about doing something so nice for others. Not to mention a great example for your dau. Just a thought. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 8:26 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• you should do what feels best for you. If there is no reason to go out then dont go out.
    amandaeastman

Answer by amandaeastman at 10:26 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I think volunteering is an excellent idea. Th years I've done it were awesome!! Then rent a couple of new movies andget some snacks. Show your thoughtful little girl that you have some fun activities planned
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:22 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• tell her that you will be fine
    christina122952

Answer by christina122952 at 11:26 AM on Dec. 5, 2013