how to keep the twins busy mine r 5 yr old boys

NeeluMarie

Asked by NeeluMarie at 1:32 AM on Nov. 27, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Interesting. I had no trouble keeping mine busy at that age because they had started to play together :) It was when they were younger that I had most work (lol).

Playdough, paints, trips to the library, the park, if you have a garden then fence off an area for them and teach them to plant and care for their plants, bake with them, get them to help you with the housework (they may not be good at it at the beginning but they'll learn and it's never too soon to teach boys that looking after the house is NOT woman's work)etc.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 2:20 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I have 5 year old twin boys. They keep busy! They direct their own play for the most part. If I want to intervene or tone it down or whatever, I do something like get them engaged in what I am doing, bringing them into my "zone" and connecting. Lately, that has meant engaging them in cleaning/organizing with me, but it also can be cooking (pancakes--cracking eggs, measuring/mixing ingredients, pouring batter & flipping the pancakes, or tasks like grating cheese for mac & cheese, stirring a pot, rolling out dough, mixing dry ingredients) or stacking wood from the woodpile (or loading wood on the cart to bring inside.) We got our first snow & they shoveled the walk. They have stayed occupied, cooperatively, with leaf raking as well. Yesterday afternoon I didn't see them because they were making a tiny snowman. I only saw them when they came to me for a carrot.
    They like to make themselves sandwiches, too!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:02 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Another activity that I find a lot of kids like is having a bowl of water, funnels, measuring spoons and cups (no glass) all on a plastic table cloth (table or floor) and maybe some bubble bath. My kids would play for hours pouring, making bubbles, etc.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 7:43 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I have three boys, two are just a few months apart. When it was two cold to play outdoors, and they'd get bored with indoor stuff, I'd start making forts. Old boxes, duct tape, blankets, pillows, flashlights, snack food, etc goes a very long way in keeping boys entertained.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:41 PM on Nov. 27, 2013