What size washing machine do I need?

I am looking to buy a new washer and dryer set (probably a top loader but still undecided).

We are a family of 6 so I need a bigger capacity washer but I also need to be aware of how much we spend.

I am having trouble gaging the sizes based on the cubic foot measurements.

What size should I buy? 3.5 cubic feet? 3.8? 4.0? or higher?

Which size would be sufficient for my needs keeping in mind the smaller the cubic feet the lesser the price.

Thanks so much

Haley_Comet

Asked by Haley_Comet at 9:28 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Home & Garden

• oh honey, go with front loading for large famiily! I have a family of 5 and absolutely love my HE front loader! cuts down on the water bill and since there's no agitator, I can fit more clothes in a load!

we got 3.8

I do a load of wash every 2-3 days, some times even as long as every 5 days.
    Anonymous

• Front loaders are so new still they are expensive in my opinion. I have a Kenmore top loader, Elite King Size. I can clean a lot of clothes in one wash....say the size of 7-8 pairs of pants. I've had it for about 6 years and use it for about 10 loads a week...it's still working great.
    timelessglass

Answer by timelessglass at 9:38 PM on Feb. 19, 2009

• I have a low end washer and do about 5-6 loads a week. It is a top loader and I think the cubic feet on it is 3.5. I paid about 500 for my set washer and dryer. It is the generic Kenmore.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:04 PM on Feb. 19, 2009