PSA: Morning-after pill ineffective for patients over 176 pounds, drugmaker says.

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS:

PARIS - A French contraceptive maker says it will begin warning women that its morning-after pill is ineffective when taken by women who weigh more than 80 kilograms (176 pounds).

HRA Pharma head of women's health Frederique Welgryn told The Associated Press that the warning is the result of a 2011 study of levonorgestrel, the active compound in its Norlevo emergency contraceptive, and other pills like the Plan B One-Step.

The new warning also says that the drug's efficacy is reduced in women who weigh more than 75 kilograms (165 pounds).

HRA markets Norlevo in about 50 countries worldwide. It began marketing the pill in France in 1999 and now sells about 1.5 million doses per year there. It will begin printing the warning on packaging in the first half of 2014.

Just in case anyone was thinking about taking this pill, I have not thank goodness.
Have you taken it?

ILovemyPaulie

Asked by ILovemyPaulie at 10:11 AM on Nov. 27, 2013 in Health

• I read this. Ridiculous. If it needs to be by weight dowager then do it by weight!! I wonder if birth control is the same deal?
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:29 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• So what are chubby girls to do? I am on the cusp of it not working, thank goodness I don't need it. LOL
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I don't know, but I'm sure they all came here talking about how their birth control failed.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:02 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• No, but isn't it just a very high dosage of birth control pill? I suppose this would be a pretty important detail to let patients know before paying for such an item.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:44 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I know! Right! I wonder how many women have taken this & not had it work.
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• ^^^Good question Staci!
    ILovemyPaulie

Comment by ILovemyPaulie (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Nov. 27, 2013