Gallbladder Problems

I posted a question about my stomach problems yesterday. I won't repeat all the info, but I did get to the doctor yesterday and they put me back on a prescription for acid in my tummy. I don't often get heartburn or anything, but they said that's what it sounds like anyway. They said if that still doesn't help (I was on it for a month up until about 10 days ago) it could be gallstones or another gallbladder problem.

Later I found out that gallbladder problems/gallstones actually run on both sides of my dad's family. My stepmom also reminded me that my dad has gallbladder problems sometimes. I knew that, but I guess I had completely forgotten. He gets such bad stomach pain that he'll sometimes have to stay home from work for a week at a time! I wish I had known that before I went to the doctor yesterday - then they would probably have been quicker to get me an ultrasound rather than just throwing me back on some drugs.

Does anyone else have gallbladder problems? What do you do about it? Or, has anyone had gallstones before?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 27, 2013 in Health

• If it really is gallstones, then stay away from anything fatty. An ultrasound can diagnose whether you have stones. I had my gall bladder removed about eight months after my son was born.

Gallstones are a common souvenir of pregnancy. As if the baby wasn't enough!

Answer by gdiamante at 2:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Yes, Had it very bad during my first pregnancy. I had an attack one night so bad that I almost fainted & sweat poured down my entire body. The next day the whites of my eyes turned yellow from the bile backing up. I had it removed Laproscopically soon after. I never knew how great I could feel after I had it removed. Not realizing it I suffered with the pain from it for years but the pregnancy made it so much worse.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:02 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• No amount of antacid worked for me, I had a couple of attacks when I was pregnant as well, but have never had problems again. If I did I would get it taken out!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 12:04 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• If you have a juicer, juice half of a regular size beat and 4 gala apples, and drink immediately. Do this every day for about 2 weeks. Tastes good and will cleanse your gall bladder and liver.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Beet.
    NannyB.

• I had a gall bladder attack a few months after having my youngest. I thought I was having a heart attack. An ultrasound showed gall stones, so I had it removed. Insist on the ultrasound, b/c if the gall stones travel, they can cause major problems, like pancreatitis. In the meantime, avoid anything greasy, fatty, rich or spicy. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:15 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I had my gallbladder out about ten weeks after my daughter was born. Five weeks before the surgery, I'd eaten corned beef hash and eggs for dinner, which is high in fat, and which I can hardly eat now anymore because of the memory, and the pain dropped me to the floor. I thought I was dying of a heart attack. It was a thousand times worse than labor. It was my gallbladder. I had a CAT scan in the emergency room, and the stones showed up. I'm pretty sure it wasn't just a regular ultrasound, it had some kind of weird dye stuff I had to drink. Anyway, insist on a test, because antacids won't cut it. And till you lose the gallbladder, no fatty foods, nothing fried, nothing spicy. Even stay away from salad dressing.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:34 PM on Nov. 27, 2013