has anyone's son had a hypospadia repaired?

my son is 13 months and has a pretty common birth defect called hypospadia, where the opening of the urethra is not where it's supposed to be. . . but down to varying degrees. his is pretty mild and he goes in april to see a ped. urologist and will most likely have surgery to fix it. i'm not too worried about it because he's really young and the risks are minimal because he's under 3, and i know it's an out patient proccedure so he won't have to be in the hospital. my question is has anyone had this done to their son and what was the outcome. . . or do you know any boys or men who have this and it was not repaired? how has it effected their lives?

rachelo

Asked by rachelo at 9:33 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If he has a mild case and it's not affecting him health wise, why mess with it? Personally, if it were my son I'd have it left alone as is if it's not actually causing problems. Hope this helps.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 11:42 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My BFF's son had it done just before he turned 3. He was potty training, and was not able to stand up to pee, because it would spray everywhere, and not shoot straight (you know what I mean, I'm sure). He's just fine now - just a few days of taking it easy to recover. PP obviously doesn't have a son with this condition, because otherwise she would know how damaging it can be to a child mentally if they aren't "just like" everyone else, especially as they get older.

My friend told me about adult men she had spoken with who had NOT had the procedure done, and truly regret it. One in particular, I remember, said that it would often take him up to 30 minutes in the bathroom, especially when he was at other peoples' homes, because he would spray on himself, and then he had to wait to dry...

Spoken as a mother who has had her son have surgery for something that could be considered "mild," I'd go ahead and do it.
    Stephensmom1214

Answer by Stephensmom1214 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 22, 2009

• I'm sorry that I don't believe in surgery to make kids like "everyone else" and if it ISN'T causing problems I don't see the need for it. I believe we can give our advice without making another person sound like her opinion or take on the matter isn't important.

OP, just research your choices and see what you think needs to be done. No one here knows your exact situation or how "severe" or "mild" your son's case is other than you. :)

NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 2:31 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• that's what's hard about this particular issue.. . . the mild cases don't always cause problems until they're older. it's less about looking like everyone else and more about being able to stand to urinate and the possibility of him having problems conceiving children because the sperm won't be deposited properly. and i have read that waiting until they're older is not only possibly traumatic because they remember it, but can also cause more problems with healing. they just heal a lot faster as babies. so it's tough. we'll talk to the doctor. . . but i asked because i just really wanted to know if others had dealt with this, ya know?
    rachelo

Answer by rachelo at 4:02 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• Hi! I found a link for you from parents going through similar things

http://www.shareyourstory.org/webx/.ef08a34

The link above is really good - it has lots and lots of stories and support by parents that have been through the surgery, etc. Some tell it how it is - like what the area will look like post sx. I would imagine that would be worst of all - considering the amount of vascular tissue in the penis the swelling and discoloration would be sever post op.

And here is a man's perspective at 34 with an unrepaired hypospadia :

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/show/226525

The OP did not get great answers - but maybe might help to see what kind of questions ds could ask as an adult ... some of the questions on this site on hypospadia are a little silly - one parent even asks if hypospadia could be linked to homosexuality - I think someone got confused with intersexuality (also something fairly common with hypospadia
    swampermom

Answer by swampermom at 7:07 AM on Mar. 1, 2009

• My best friend has a son with mild hypospadia. She was not surprised that he had it since it runs in her family... her brother had it really bad and required several surgeries. Luckily her sons case was minor enough that he won't need surgery. Her urologist said that they could do corrective surgery, but it would be purely cosmetic since neither his urinary tract nor his reproductive tract would be negatively effected by his hypospadia. They opted against surgery. He's almost five now, had no problem potty training, and has been very healthy.  The pediatric urologist should be able to give you a good idea of whether or not your son needs surgery.  Don't be afraid to ask tons of questions.  It wouldn't hurt to get a second or third opinion...  different doctors have different knowledge and experiences, and the more input you can get, the better.

sallymoon

Answer by sallymoon at 8:51 AM on Mar. 9, 2009

• my 8 mo son has hypospadias and in a month he has surgery. We have a great pediatric urologist and it is mild but he reccommended it and so did the pediatrician. I am getting ready to start the testosterone cream, Has everybody used it too? I was wondering how it works, did you wear gloves to put it on, drs said to, Do you apply it all over? It does need to be repaired by toilet training as it will be hard for him to train I guess you would say. I think it will be great when it is over as he sure wets his diaper front to back at times and not so much now but he has wet through his clothes out of the diaper and I think it is because of the problem. Can anyone give me advice on the cream and etc I am nervous.
    firstmom2

Answer by firstmom2 at 9:57 PM on Apr. 8, 2009

• Hi.. my son, too, has hypospadias. He is 5 1/2 mos old. We go to CHOP to for a consultation in 2 weeks. I am a nervous wreck. Although we don't know yet, I think my son's is mild, but the pedi said he will need surgery so he doesn't have problems in the future. Please let me know what you have found out, if anything, and I will do the same when we talk to our doc at the end of the month. Good luck:)
    supersteno

Answer by supersteno at 11:40 AM on Apr. 20, 2009

• my son i 4 1/2 months old and he is also hypospadias. He has to have surgery. They said if he doesn't he will have to sit to pee and have issues with sperm. To me, this is a big deal, and even though it scares the hell out of me, I know it is the best choice to have the surgery.
    AmberHoffman

Answer by AmberHoffman at 12:33 PM on Jun. 3, 2009