I cant get the shells off

I am always wondering what I am doing wrong when boiling eggs. I always end up with a moon egg with craters. Are there any tips that you can give me that will help not have this problem?

amandaeastman

Asked by amandaeastman at 10:56 AM on Nov. 27, 2013 in Food & Drink

• The older the eggs, the easier they are to peel. You probably use very fresh eggs.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• As soon as I take them off the burner, I begin running cold water in the pan. I let the cold water run for several minutes to cool the eggs quickly. The I put a lid on the pan and shake them around, pretty roughly, to break the shells up a bit, then peel them under more cold running water. Sometimes I still get some that are hard to peel, but for the most part, they turn out all right.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:47 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Put a teaspoon of vinegar in the water, start with cold water, then place the eggs in and bring to a boil, but if you use eggs you just purchased yesterday, they are too fresh.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 11:59 AM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Yep,the vinegar works

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:49 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I put salt in the water and when they are done, rinse them in cold water.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 1:01 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• When you take them off the heat after boiling them, run the pan full of cold water, then drop a dozen or more ice cubes in the pan to cool the eggs down very quickly. Peel them under cold running water. When you crack them, roll the egg on the counter till the shell is cracked all over. Start peeling it from the small end, where there's an air pocket, and the shell should be all broken up and come off all together in one big cracked piece.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:28 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Sorry, I mean the big end. I was just shelling some boiled eggs for dinner and noticing how I did it, and it's the big end with the air cell in it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 7:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2013