Sports Drinks

I've always thought sports drinks were mostly just a lot of sugar, hype, and wasted money, so I've never used them. But my daughter was given one at a friend's house last week and left most of it in the fridge, and I drank about 3/4 of a cup of it yesterday in a glass with ice because there was nothing else in the house. I'd been feeling really run-down, and it did wonders for me. I'm telling you, it was like a miracle drug. Was it a fluke, or is there something to this electrolytes thing? If there is something to it, did the drink help me because I'm getting over a cold, or does it help fatigue in general? Is it worth me investing in more sports drinks? If so, how are they best used? As a daily thing? Weekly? Sporadically? Only after exercise? I hadn't exercised when I drank it yesterday at all, but I'd just eaten some oatmeal with drie fruit, if that matters. Where could I research this? I'm a total beginner.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:39 PM on Nov. 27, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• Electrolyte drinks WERE designed to absorb into your body faster than water - but the crap they are selling now isn't that good as the amount of sugar (carb content) actually works against you. If you drink them in competition they absolutely need to be cut in half with water to get the benefit. They are best hours prior to the game or like Rosehawk says... after the game. But during the game, or jsut before, they are one of the worst things you can drink.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:51 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I drink them for hangovers. Works great for me!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:38 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Sports drinks are just a lot of sugar, hype, and wasted money!! Read (or have someone read) the ingredients... there is nothing there that you can't get in real food minus the sugar & chemicals. Unless you are competing in the heat & humidity for a prolonged period they are just a sugar delivery system. The amount of sugar in them actually hinders your bodies uptake of fluids... I really could go on for a LONG time about this. I eliminated sports drinks of the sidelines of school I worked as an ATC... they were so much better off for it!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:44 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• There IS something to them. Gatorade was a drink originally made for the Florida Gators NFL team to help combat the heat during training camp. (Link here)

Crafty might be better at explaining this than I am, but the electrolyte drinks are designed to absorb into your body faster than water and replenish the "stuff" that is lost during a workout. Drinking it all the time just because isn't the best, but if you're trying to rehydrate yourself, Gatorade (or something like it) works better than water.

I know when I was a teen playing soccer, I'd chug Gatorade after a game. On days when I didn't, I'd be dragging ass for the rest of the day after the game.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 12:45 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Water really is the best to dehydrate... Sports drinks are more if a commercial marketing thing.

Perhaps you were just dehydrated and some extra fluids helped bring you back to life. << I was going to say this as well!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:57 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I am on the other side. Powerade is the ONLY drink that makes me feel good when I feel like shit. I love it.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• They are mostly crap but I will let my kids have one after a practice or game in the summer, especially on the hotter days. But it's a small one, they've usually had a whole bottle of water during the game/practice, and will drink water the rest of the day. I also limit the flavors I buy because I have 2 kids sensitive to red dye. I drink them too when I'm sick and want something besides water.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 2:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Hey Ballad, I PM'd you a long message about this... too long to for the character limit here. But, my neurologist has a different take on sports drinks for people with chronic cluster migraines... Hang in there with the med change. It will level out soon.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:58 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• it's just salt,so maybe it was a placebo thing for you

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 12:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Gatorade Fruit Punch: WATER, SUGAR, DEXTROSE (sugar), CITRIC ACID, NATURAL FLAVOR, SALT, SODIUM CITRATE, MONOPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, RED 40, GLYCEROL ESTER OF ROSIN, CARAMEL COLOR

^^^See... mostly CRAP!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2013