About the adult children doing chores!!

I didn't mean to "close" the question. I need to get the hang of all of this.... Thanks again!!

patti-oregon

Asked by patti-oregon at 9:36 PM on Feb. 19, 2009 in Adult Children (18+)

• if they live with you then they need too learn too earn their keep there for yes they should do what needs to be done in the house i lived with my mother till i was 25 and i did what i was told to do and then some never was allowed too not do something and i had a baby at 23 and when she got older she was even picking up
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• if they live with you,they should help out.my daughter has to keep her room clean,she does hher own laundry and the dishes.
    lifeisgood176

Answer by lifeisgood176 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I'm 23 years old, and right now am living with my parents.. we all have rules for everyone..
    Since they own the house however they have the final say.
    1-we all contribute to the bills of the household
    2-we all have chores
    however the biggest things to enforce.. are responsibilities.. it's your house.. your rules.. if they don't like it, they can find a job and leave.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:29 PM on Feb. 21, 2009

• I believe that if they are part of the household then they should help maintain it.

I'm having this problem myself right now. My 20 y/o daughter never did a thing in the house when she came home in October. I'd ask her to do the dishes and she'd complain that she couldn't get close enough to the sink because of her pregnancy. She hated to vacuum, dust, or even make her bed. She slept late, sat in the same chair all day, and used her sister's laptop.
    Now that she has had the baby we made it clear to her that she needs to help around the house. She washes the baby bottles every couple of days, but refuses to do the dishes still. She says she's too busy with the baby to do any other housework. She piles the baby's dirty laundry on the washer for me to wash. She won't even bathe or dress the baby or bathe herself unless I nag her!
    What to do?!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 7:54 AM on Feb. 23, 2009

• PrydferthMenyw, i would threaten to take her baby away if she won't take care of her.
    Anonymous

• I having a similar problem ,my daughter is 20,although she works,thats all she do,she let her daughter walk through the house eating,knocking over my lamps, she won't help with chores,my motto,I have never put my kids out,but, I will let them put themself out, my daughter is so lazy, I beleive she got sores on her behind, on her off days, she lay in her bed and talk on the phone all day, and her daughter be downstairs with me,I do the cooking,cleaning,and she don't give us a dime,she won't even wash out the tub after she bathes.
    lady-t3984

Answer by lady-t3984 at 7:57 PM on Feb. 23, 2009

• being 23 myself, I am totally with doing chores. If they were living in their own place they would be cleaning and doing dishes and taking out the trash. Why shouldn't they be able to do it living with you? You are completely within your right to ask them to help out around the house. I live with my fiance's parents at the moment with my almost 2 year old and I still do laundry and clean dishes wash windows and the bathroom as well as keep the downstairs and our bedroom clean as possible.
    PhotographyM0m

Answer by PhotographyM0m at 1:47 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• OMG!!!! I had this problem, mine were adult males. After laying down the rules about helping in the house, they had 1 month to comply, help, or get out. One made it through the second month and the other made it 3 (because I really am a softy), But when they decided they did not have to help with the chores, I gave them a suitcase, 60 dollars and a ride to town. BTW we are really good friends now
    Nobull

Answer by Nobull at 6:23 PM on Feb. 24, 2009

• Why are your adult children living with you? They should be working full time, in school and doing chores. Paying rent is a must. At some point they need to be knocked out of the nest. Anyone living with mom and dad after 23 is a loser.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:47 AM on Mar. 2, 2009

• I am 23 and am living with my parents while I get money together to move in with my baby's father. I pay electric, water, and buy all the groceries for the house (and of COURSE I pay for my own baby's stuff). I don't "do chores" but I do help out around the house and do my part. Chores are for children, something you are given specifically to do and get punished if you don't do it. Adults, who are given the privelege of living with their parents, should do stuff around the house (dishes, mopping floors, vaccuming, picking up, yard work, clean the pool, etc) not because they are "their chores" but because it's the right adult thing to do. I do not believe I am a loser, I moved out at 18 and lived by myself the whole time, I moved back home for help raising my baby and I needed a stable place to live. In Cuban families like mine, grandparents live with parents and children. Only in America do we kick 'em out so young- NOT loser!
    soflashelley

Answer by soflashelley at 7:04 AM on Mar. 25, 2009