A spin off from my earlier post "Need some Advice" ..

I have been looking for section 8 housing for Alice, although she doesn't know this yet. I want to get my ducks in a row so she cannot come up with any type of a excuse. She told me she applied for section 8 two yrs ago, but she told me she hasn't heard back from them since then. I was always under the impression the approvable process was pretty quick, well for the govt anyway, it was the waiting list to get into a place that took the longest. Does anyone know how this section 8 works?

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 5:05 PM on Nov. 27, 2013 in Money & Work

• How old is this woman?

Call elderly services if she is elderly and get her into elderly housing, she doesn't have to qualify for section 8, her SSI is low enough to get her in, Here its 320 rent for 1 person and 50 more f per person.

Call the council on aging, have them come o your home and make it happen

Otherwise make her prove to you she is on the waiting list.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 5:23 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• She is only 45. I found a place here that accepts section 8 vouchers. How long does it take to get accepted once you put in the app? I found a house that has 3 bedrooms, 1 bath, 2 car garage for $650 a month available now. Dh asks me how will they be able to keep up the place like mowing and such. I looked at him and said that isn't our problem. At least I do not think it is anyway.
    Michigan-Mom74

Comment by Michigan-Mom74 (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• The county I just moved from has a very big homeless population, in large part bc processing hud housing is so slow. You can be approved initially but working your way to the top of the list (which means the funds are available for you now) takes forever. When I left in May of this year they were processing spring of 2008 applicants
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• The list here is almost a decade long.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 5:52 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Don't let her stay too long! Too much longer and the only way to get rid of her will be an eviction notice!
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 5:53 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Did you ever wonder why her son put her out?
    Sorry but she would have until the day after Christmas to leave y home acting like that.
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 6:18 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I say you have done enough, call the homeless shelter and see what they say, I know in my town the waiting list can be very long for section 8, is she disabled? SS office may be the place to start.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2013