How long can raw meat juice in a fridge be dangerous for?

I had a bag of raw chicken in the fridge drawer for 3 days before I tossed it. It was triple bagged. I was going to clean that drawer but forgot. That was last week. Some string cheeses were put in the drawer yesterday. Should I wash them? (In packaging so washing the packages)

I don't think any chicken juice could have escaped but if it did.... Ew.

Yes I am behind on ALL housework. We have had countless visitors this month 24/7 for a family emergency. Aunts / Uncles / Cousins all flew in and stayed at our house. I am exhausted.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 5:46 PM on Nov. 27, 2013 in Food & Drink

• I'm not sure staci.... if it were me, I'd probably toss it, clean the drawer out with bleach and then let it sit a while. I wouldn't chance it. However, keep in mind, I am a germaphobe.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:00 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I would wash the cheese in the package, I don't think you have anything to worry about, I am sending my DH to live with M-avi, they can stress over germs together, lol
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:07 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• Even if the wrappers were contaminated I'd just open them then take the cheese out with my teeth and give it to my kid. If there was a hole in the cheese wrapper the cheese would be moldy.

Good thinking though, everything should be washed. I knew the answer to that one... But still wondering how long those germs live on surfaces. Isn't it 48 hours then they die? But if it's in a fridge?
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• They will die as soon as you wash the whatever, but if they are active they could live in a fridge until you wash whatever it touched. Not cold enough to freeze, not hot enough to boil, so germa away freezone!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 6:30 PM on Nov. 27, 2013

• I am with m-avi no way I would be keeping it
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 8:16 PM on Nov. 27, 2013